Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rising boxing nations and future super powers?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rising boxing nations and future super powers?

Judging from the Olympics Kazakhstan are producing top notch fighters now, why are we not seeing more in the pros, Shumenov and Golovkin aside I can't name a single one?

India are also getting good boxers, what's the deal with a nation that size having such bad pro fighters? India's p4p #1 according to boxrec is 0-1, I know there is/was a lack of interest there but are they capable of just turning pro unlike countries like Cuba? I should think they are

China have some decent fighters now too, are they still like Cuba and unable to turn pro?

Stop looking at the amateur system. It means Jack **** in the pros. As it is set up rite now, Olympic boxing is not even the same sport as pro boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by DempseyRollin View Post
      Stop looking at the amateur system. It means Jack **** in the pros. As it is set up rite now, Olympic boxing is not even the same sport as pro boxing.
      Yes, so that's why the K brothers, Rigondeaux, Gamboa, Lara, Salinas, Franco, Dlh, Floyd, Ward, and so many others had fail in the pro?

Comment

Ams and pros are different, yes. But it's historically clear that the best amateurs tend to have successful pro careers. It's not a guarantee, but it increases the odds tremendously. Nonetheless, I would welcome a change in amateur boxing that brings it closer to the professional version of the sport.

Comment

yeah I am impressed with Kazakhstan also...I don't know about "FUTURE SUPER POWERS" but no question the talent level is on the rise

Comment

Originally posted by RichCCFC View Post
            China have some decent fighters now too, are they still like Cuba and unable to turn pro?
            Pro boxing has recently been allowed in China. In 2006 they had their first world champion and 2 months ago a chinese boxer became WBC silver champion. I did a search on boxrec and I'm surprised at how many pro boxers china has but most of them have less than 10 pro fights. The pro boxing scene in China is just starting to develop, the WBC is regularly staging events there and a lot of promoters are interested in doing business over there because of the huge market. Two freaking billion people, imagine how much money you would make on a ppv...
            Last edited by Light_Speed; 08-01-2012, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Where's that opinion coming from?

You can't have that level of thinking when majority of boxing's greats (almost if not all 90%) came from the amateur ranks.

Comment

Back to topic, I think India will be a force in 5-10yrs time, provided they allot some budget on boxing other than cricket.

Comment

If the Chinese train boxers like they do Olympic athletes. They will have the girls knocking the men out in 6 years.

Comment

Olympic style judging is more suited for a game of tag than boxing. Granted many many medalist have had great careers.

Comment

Working...
                    X