Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

was the belt on the line when jcc sr fought pernell at a catchweight of 145?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by solo20 View Post
    the promble is not 145 . Pac team wants the fight at 143 means Cotto will be shot becaues of the weight

pac's camp already said they dont have any problems at 145.....

Comment

Originally posted by baracuda View Post
      if it was,then pac vs cotto at 145 should be too.....
      IMO both were wrong.

I agree about double standards, but I don't think it's ever right for titles to be on the line for catchweight fights. I've objected whenever it's happened.

It's like saying: "I'm the best Welterweight in the world, but only provided that the normal maximum weight rules don't apply." If you're the best Welterweight in the world, you shouldn't need to change the maximum weight rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenny Blankenship View Post
        That's funny...because the last time I checked the welterweight division was any fight contested between 141-147.

147 is the LIMIT...where the division ends, not begins.
        There's no minimum weight. Henry Armstrong only weighed 133lb when he won the Welterweight title. The only stipulation is that both fighters can weigh anything they like up to a maximum of 147lb. By stipulating a different maximum weight, it becomes and catchweight fight, and it's not a true Welterweight fight, IMO. I don't think someone who doesn't think they can win unless their opponent comes in at a lower weight than the normal limit of 147 should be able to call themselves the world Welterweight champion.

This is a separate issue from whether Pac deserves credit if he wins. If Cotto thinks he can make 145 without being weight drained, which he says he does, and if he voluntarily signs the contract, then Pac does deserve full credit if he wins. But I still don't think the title should be on the line.
        Last edited by Dave Rado; 06-29-2009, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Rado View Post
          IMO both were wrong.

I agree about double standards, but I don't think it's ever right for titles to be on the line for catchweight fights. I've objected whenever it's happened.

It's like saying: "I'm the best Welterweight in the world, but only provided that the normal maximum weight rules don't apply." If you're the best Welterweight in the world, you shouldn't need to change the maximum weight rules.
          if it's always been like that then why change it now......it's not fair to pac if he wins......the belt makes this bout more exciting...

Comment

the title shouldnt be on the line because the boxing fans said so.

Comment

Working...
            X