Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pavlik's win over Taylor is overrated!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pavlik's win over Taylor is overrated by some. Many use a curious sort of logic which states (broadly) "Hopkins was a legend and ATG, Jermain Taylor beat him so he is at the very least great, Pavlik beat him so he is great too."

This type of thinking neglects to realise is that the reason Hopkins was a 'legend' was because he had amassed so many title defences and was unbeaten at MW for so long. The reason this makes him a 'legend' is because it is very hard to do, any good boxer might win one big fight, or even have a hot streak, but you don't get to greatness like that, that is achieved by consistency over the course of a career, which of course neither Taylor nor Pavlik have yet managed.

Neither Pavlik nor Taylor beat all Hopkins opponents, Taylor beat Hopkins and Pavlik beat Taylor. Both are boxers with a pair of signature wins over a single highly regarded opponent, not greats of boxing. It is not at all rare in boxing for a fighter who is not 'great' to beat one who is, but fail to follow that up in the rest of his career. The challenge for Taylor, and particularly Pavlik is to prove that they are, which right now both are some way short of having done.

Comment

How can anyone call Pavik's win over Taylor overrated? He was the undefeated Middleweight champ of the world coming off tough fights with Bernard & Winky. Pavlik, literally an unknown, came in..got knocked down by Taylor, and came back to KO Taylor. You couldn't ask for a better way to make a name for yourself. Then in a rematch vs Taylor where Taylor came in better prepared, Pavlik was still able to adjust and stick to his gameplan and get the win.

I just don't understand how anyone can hate on Pavlik (unless your a Calzaghe or Kessler fan apparently lol)
      Last edited by RL_GMA; 09-20-2008, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryn0 View Post
        I hate using the word overrated but it fits perfectly here. Before Taylor had fought Pavlik he had gone through fighter like Hopkins, Wright, Ouma and Spinks. In each and everyone of them he looked below average especially in the Spinks fight.

Look at some of the reponses here:
        http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...ghlight=Taylor

Taylor scraped past Hopkins, proberbly should have lost against Wright, couldn't stop Ouma after hitting him with the kitchen sink and was horrible against Spinks YET he looks his best against Pavlik in losing twice. Some have even heralded it as a great win.

Pavlik drew out a good win over a ring magazine champ in Taylor but it isn't a great win just a good one. He KO'd a guy who looked horrible in his last 5 fights. I'm not a pavlik "hater" it's just an assessment I made looking at some of the posts on here. Pavlik's real defining fight will be against Abraham or hopkins depending on whether he beats him and in which fashion.

If this is how you feel then say Taylor is overrated, not Pavlik's win over him is overrated. Pavlik got the **** beaten out of him and almost KO'd the 1st time. It was still a brawl from there on out and he survived to win. 2nd time Taylor fought well enough that some people thought he deserved the decision, and Pavlik still got him by UD. Neither win is overrated imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryn0 View Post
          I hate using the word overrated but it fits perfectly here. Before Taylor had fought Pavlik he had gone through fighter like Hopkins, Wright, Ouma and Spinks. In each and everyone of them he looked below average especially in the Spinks fight.

Look at some of the reponses here:
          http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...ghlight=Taylor

Taylor scraped past Hopkins, proberbly should have lost against Wright, couldn't stop Ouma after hitting him with the kitchen sink and was horrible against Spinks YET he looks his best against Pavlik in losing twice. Some have even heralded it as a great win.

Pavlik drew out a good win over a ring magazine champ in Taylor but it isn't a great win just a good one. He KO'd a guy who looked horrible in his last 5 fights. I'm not a pavlik "hater" it's just an assessment I made looking at some of the posts on here. Pavlik's real defining fight will be against Abraham or hopkins depending on whether he beats him and in which fashion.
          he may have not looked that impressive but he won those fights while pav beat him convincingly twice. how thats overrated I'll never know

Comment

a good explanation for taylor looking good against better fighters and average against lesser opponents is that he fights up to or down to the level of his competition

Comment

Working...
            X