Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VIDEO:Lou Dibella BLASTS Ortiz "Ortiz should be ashamed of himself,he's a F'ing punk"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gino Ros View Post
    How much of a cash cow was Berto, really?

Damn near the whole - if not the entirety - of the licensing fees went to Berto's purses. How exactly was AB a cash cow?
    He was a huge cash cow, especially compared to the rest of Dibella's stable (Martinez possibly excepted, I don't know what he brings in)

For some unknown reason, Berto was getting paid in excess of $1 million for fighting on HBO. Compare that to what fighters with similar achievements and followings are getting paid, and it's clear that he was a big earner. Also, it shouldn't be forgotten that Berto was quite likely being lined up as Mayweather's next opponent, which would have been a bigger still payday.

Comment

That punk beat the **** out of ur fighter

Comment

Originally posted by TouchyAndalou View Post
        He was a huge cash cow, especially compared to the rest of Dibella's stable (Martinez possibly excepted, I don't know what he brings in)

For some unknown reason, Berto was getting paid in excess of $1 million for fighting on HBO. Compare that to what fighters with similar achievements and followings are getting paid, and it's clear that he was a big earner. Also, it shouldn't be forgotten that Berto was quite likely being lined up as Mayweather's next opponent, which would have been a bigger still payday.
        YOU ARE SAYING THAT Berto WAS and cash cow, but you are not explaining HOW

My dude, Lou DiBella owns several sports teams and has produced a couple of big Hollywood movies.

Getting 30 percent of Berto's $1.1 million purse isn't cash cow-ness for LDB. Keep in mind that Devon got 1.2 million to fight Matthysse after he lost to Bradley. Many guys got million-dollar purses. Hell, didn't Angulo turn down damn near a million?

Berto produced no gate.

Comment

“Get his ass kicked,” huh? Alright man. Dibella’s…a promoter...but I can’t take him too seriously, not this week at least. You’re best fighter is fighting Barker? Yeah, that’s a statement and a question.

But in honesty, I agree we should have OST for championship fights…and I’d do it if I was Ortiz. Let’s admit though, Berto, who lost and has far less of a following than Ortiz, especially since Sep 17th, is going to dictate the terms…that’s funny…but hopefully Victor doesn’t look at it like this. I'm all for the rematch

Comment

I love listening to Lou Dibella discuss the boxing business. He's an intelligent guy and he seems honest as a boxing promoter can get and is one of the more likeable boxing personalities out there...

Also, I liked his take on how mma is being marketed or "packaged" better than boxing and why it's more popular with the younger demographic...

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
              I love listening to Lou Dibella discuss the boxing business. He's an intelligent guy and he seems honest as a boxing promoter can get and is one of the more likeable boxing personalities out there...

Also, I liked his take on how mma is being marketed or "packaged" better than boxing and why it's more popular with the younger demographic...
              We see it the same.

Just because LDB looks like Shrek, people think he is a dolt. That kinda irks me.

Comment

Boston... you got mail.

Comment

Originally posted by Gino Ros View Post
                  YOU ARE SAYING THAT Berto WAS and cash cow, but you are not explaining HOW

My dude, Lou DiBella owns several sports teams and has produced a couple of big Hollywood movies.

Getting 30 percent of Berto's $1.1 million purse isn't cash cow-ness for LDB. Keep in mind that Devon got 1.2 million to fight Matthysse after he lost to Bradley. Many guys got million-dollar purses. Hell, didn't Angulo turn down damn near a million?

Berto produced no gate.
                  I don't know much about Dibella's ventures outside of boxing, but I have little doubt that he's in boxing to make money, as all promoters are, and Berto was one of, if not his best avenues of doing that.

You talk like $1 million paydays are commonplace in the sport, even at the top levels, when they're really not. Alexander only got 1.2 million because it was guaranteed to him as part of the Bradley deal. The reason it was guaranteed is because HBO thought the Bradley fight would be so good and competitive that there'd either be a rematch or both guys' stock would rise. It was a spectacularly poor deal by HBO and probably one of the main reasons why Greenburg lost his job.

Angulo did turn down a big offer, although I think it was closer to £700,000 than a million, and it was also a pretty silly offer by HBO. I bet they're happy that he turned that one down in retrospect. But there aren't too many other fighters who have made that sort of money on HBO recently, outside of the Mayweather's, the Pacquiao's and all of their opponents.

Also, like I already said, Berto was very likely up next to face Mayweather, in a fight that would have brought his team good money. It stands to reason that Dibella would be upset that his guy lost to Ortiz, especially after Ortiz immediately got the Mayweather fight.

Comment

Ortiz didn't lose to Berto, he doesn't need Berto. Ortiz f####d up big time by the way he fought, he could've easily piggy backed off of Mayweather. Ortiz is still an easier sell to the public than Berto. Ortiz-Khan, Ortiz-Alvarez would sell. His frame is ready to go up to 154lbs., Margarito-Cotto winner.

Comment

I love listening to Lou Dibella discuss the boxing business.
                      ya but you have a B1tchko as your sig...so that explains a lot.

Comment

Working...
                      X