No announcement yet.

Why is Martinez getting a free pass?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is Martinez getting a free pass?

We should be crying out for the GGG fight! He's supposedly the champion in waiting, it's THE fight to make in the MW division. Failing that he should at least fight Felix Sturm or Peter Quillen. Why is Martinez getting a pass?

Cotto is one of my favourite fighters and Cotto v Alvarez interests me. Cotto at Middleweight doesn't.

The fight we all want to see is Martinez v GGG for the undisputed Middleweight championship of the world. And we are being fobbed off because Lou Di Bella is shook!
    Last edited by Targaryen; 12-24-2013, 12:18 PM.

I'm afraid I agree with you. That said, I do like Cotto-Martinez.

Comment

I think it's because he is on his way out and the Murray fight pretty much displayed this.
      If a healthy Martinez don't show up to fight there really is no point in him fighting GGG. It won't be as competitive and it would have a negative affect on GGGs record in which he fought an old or washed up Martinez.

Comment

Martinez almost lost to Martin freakin Murray. The robotic fighter that barely throws any punches.

And he got KD in that fight. C'mon bruv. His legs have failed him.

Comment

Martinez get a pass because him and Cotto are both on there way out and need/deserve BIG paydays. After all the great fights they gave us throughout the years Martinez deserve a pass.

Plus Martinez vs Cotto is more interesting fight IMO.

Comment

I don't know that he necessarily gets a pass because I see a lot of people calling for that fight, but if people are giving him a pass it's because he looks to be on his way out. Father time is catching up with him. Depending on how he looks against Cotto (assuming the fight gets finalized), I might or might not want that fight to happen.

Comment

I think Sergio's sexy body is now breaking down on him. If a hurt Martinez shows up against Cotto then he's in for a long night to be honest.

Comment

I think its not a free pass, coz martinez is not the same martinez who pulled out a shotgun versus the punisher

Cotto vs martinez will be good for boxing 2nd match up that fans could crave for.

Comment

Originally posted by icerob View Post
                  Martinez get a pass because him and Cotto are both on there way out and need/deserve BIG paydays. After all the great fights they gave us throughout the years Martinez deserve a pass.

Plus Martinez vs Cotto is more interesting fight IMO.
                  You're talking as if he lost his last fight, he won it. It was a tough fight but he won. It happens. Whilst he is Middleweight champion of the world he doesn't get any pass at not fighting the legit contenders.

Tsyzu was on his way out when Hatton beat him. Boxing is littered with these passing of the torch fights. Martinez should be no different. Ducking and dodging the most deserving challengers is what we as fans should detest. If Martinez fought GGG and lost, then he can have his final swan song against an opponent of his choice. But he's holding one of boxing's most prestigious prizes in the Middleweight championship of the world, as fans we should be screaming for him to fight GGG. That fight will answer all our questions "Is GGG the truth?" "Is Martinez past it?"

Fighting a small JMW instead doesn't answer anything. You can already hear the "Well he was too big for Cotto" excuses lined up.
                  Last edited by Targaryen; 12-24-2013, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Andre Wardttke View Post
                    We should be crying out for the GGG fight! He's supposedly the champion in waiting, it's THE fight to make in the MW division. Failing that he should at least fight Felix Sturm or Peter Quillen. Why is Martinez getting a pass?

Cotto is one of my favourite fights and Cotto v Alvarez interests me. Cotto at Middleweight doesn't.

The fight we all want to see is Martinez v GGG for the undisputed Middleweight championship of the world. And we are being fobbed off because Lou Di Bella is shook!
                    You realize canelo is bigger than martinez, and walks out to the ring heavier than martinez?

Perhaps the question should be, why is canelo getting a free pass? As far as martinez' perspective, cotto wants to fight him, and martinez wants to actually get a nice check for taking punches.

Comment

Working...
                    X