No announcement yet.

Jerry Quarry vs Jack Sharkey

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
    Quarry was good enough to beat one of the "Classiest boxers" of all time in Floyd Patterson...
    Muhammad Ali said : "Patterson was the best boxer he ever fought"...
    I had Patterson beating Quarry both times. Either way I think Patterson is a lot different from Sharkey. Patterson is a much more aggressive fighter and is always there to be hit, even with his bobbing & weaving style. Sharkey was more like Jimmy Ellis but better.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
      I had Patterson beating Quarry both times. Either way I think Patterson is a lot different from Sharkey. Patterson is a much more aggressive fighter and is always there to be hit, even with his bobbing & weaving style. Sharkey was more like Jimmy Ellis but better.
      Patterson was far better than Sharkey... When Quarry lost a close decision to Ellis it was his worst ever career performance due to Jerry fighting with a broken bone in his back after being pushed over a jukebox by his brother while celebrating his victory over Thad Spencer

Comment

Patterson was far better than Sharkey... When Quarry lost a close decision to Ellis it was his worst ever career performance due to Jerry fighting with a broken bone in his back after being pushed over a jukebox by his brother while celebrating his victory over Thad Spencer
        I wouldn't say "far better". And he's a different fighter. Quarry lost to worse fighters than Patterson.

Quarry was not in the best condition against Ellis but he was still befuddled by Ellis's style much like he was earlier in his career against Eddie Machen.

I'm not saying that I don't rate Quarry, I believe he would have beaten Max Baer for example, but Sharkey would be a difficult opponent for him to deal with. Sharkey was very slippery while Quarry was always there to be hit. I believe that would be the difference on the scorecards.

Comment

Originally posted by frankenfrank View Post
          and since what age was the older frazier boxing from ?
          and the older frazier , norton , ali and chuvalo haven't fought in brutal slugfests ?
          it was his lack of technique and his inadequate power that made his fights grueling.

because he was too chinny to maintain his title

and 10 years older than quarry himself at that

against that same fighter whom was 10 years older than himself with a more respected amateur past himself btw.

i do not idolize shavers , i only claim he should be ranked higher than quarry , that's all.

David Tua would have Knocked out Quarry inside 4.
          4 is just for safety measures. 1 or 2 is the more realistic knowing tua.
          You're an idiot. 'Nuff said.

Originally posted by frankenfrank View Post
          maybe someday i will.
          You're not only an idiot but you're actually admitting you're ignorant of the fights and fighters you're speaking about too?

Poet

Comment

I wouldn't say "far better". And he's a different fighter. Quarry lost to worse fighters than Patterson.

Quarry was not in the best condition against Ellis but he was still befuddled by Ellis's style much like he was earlier in his career against Eddie Machen.

I'm not saying that I don't rate Quarry, I believe he would have beaten Max Baer for example, but Sharkey would be a difficult opponent for him to deal with. Sharkey was very slippery while Quarry was always there to be hit. I believe that would be the difference on the scorecards.
            The problem with Sharkey as I see it is that he was so inconsistant throughout his career: You could never really be sure which Sharkey was going to show up for a fight. If he brought his A-game I could definately see him outboxing Quarry and winning a clear decision; but if he comes into the ring with something less (which he often did) than Quarry knocks him out.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
              The problem with Sharkey as I see it is that he was so inconsistant throughout his career: You could never really be sure which Sharkey was going to show up for a fight. If he brought his A-game I could definately see him outboxing Quarry and winning a clear decision; but if he comes into the ring with something less (which he often did) than Quarry knocks him out.

Poet
              He was somewhat inconsistent but during his prime run he only really lost to Dempsey, Schmeling and Risko. The Dempsey and Schmeling fights both ended due to low blows, with Sharkey on the receiving end against Dempsey and himself disqualified against Schmeling (both fights that he was winning). The Risko fight was a disputed decision but Sharkey did have trouble with Risko's pressure.

When Sharkey actually won the title from Schmeling with a controversial decision where I thought he did nothing to win, he was already past it. Carnera got to him at the right time and Sharkey never won a significant fight afterwards.

The inconsistency shows in his performances though. He tended to fight in spurts and could lose his focus in the ring, being forced to fight the other man's fight. This is the same with Quarry as well. He'd fight 30 seconds of each round and get drawn into unnecessary brawls when he was doing a fine job counter punching.

You never knew what you were going to get with these two, a Sharkey vs Harry Wills or a Sharkey vs Tom Heeney, a Quarry vs Thad Spencer or a Quarry vs George Chuvalo.

Comment

Quarry was only a young novice when he lost to Machen on points, Machen was a world class operator.. Quarry was a very underated counter-puncher with decent skills & power + his granite chin... what is most of the time overlooked about Jerry Quarry is the lifestyle he led from as young as 4yrs old.. if it was turned into a Holywood movie it would be an epic.. from his childhood with his violent Irish father, his youth as an amateur boxer then a profesional, marraige troubles with several wifes, his battle with drugs and fame, his acting career followed by his comebacks in the ring and finally his suffering from `punch-drunk syndrome`... if ever there was a "Rollercoaster" in boxing it was Jerry Quarry.

Comment

Once again a ridiculous post by the forum clown... your knowledge of the sport of boxing is zero, When Quarry lost to Ken Norton he was at the very tail-end of his career and had nothing left, if quarry was to have fought Norton 5yrs earlier he would have been a clear winner, The Frazier (2) fight clearly showed that Quarry was well past his best..
                  Any version of Jerry Quarry would have got shredded by Ken Norton that night.

On point though, I'd favor Sharkey to edge Quarry.

Comment

Quarry was great against bigger, slower sluggers but not so much against classy boxers. I believe Sharkey would take a close decision win.
                    Are you saying that Sharkey was a "classy" boxer?

Comment

Originally posted by boxingbuff View Post
                      Are you saying that Sharkey was a "classy" boxer?
                      He could be. Carnera in their first fight hardly landed a punch on him and Sharkey was doing a job on both Dempsey and Schmeling until low blows ended the bout (and a follow-up left hook in the case of the Dempsey fight).
                      Last edited by TheGreatA; 03-06-2010, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X