Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jesus loves it when you punch people into unconsciousness for large amounts of money

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't really understand the reasoning. Not that I've had to recently, but if I were going into battle, I would certainly pray that I would survive to be with my family again. My Secret Service buddy prays that he will not meet harm in the performance of his duties, where certainly he may have to inflict harm. Just before I run the Marathon every year, I pray that I will survive it and be courageous in my effort.

If you don't think that boxing is an appropriate sport that's a whole separate issue, than whether one has faith and if it's appropriate for them to pray before entering the ring and to give thanks afterwards.

Comment

becuz a lot of people have been brainwash since they were born. so what do you expect? some change though.

Comment

Originally posted by maestroUSA View Post
        first of all.. you dont hear pacquaio "preach the bible"
        whatever his personal relationship with Jesus is his own..

blame the media for making a big issue about it..
        I never said he does either so I'm not sure where yo're going with that?

Either way, he does however, tout himself as a devout Roman Catholic. Its the amount of "devout" ness that its possible to have while remaining the poster child of a sport that glorifies human brutality between two men for another mans enjoyment.

The media doesn't really come into what is being discussed here.

Originally posted by ILLuminato View Post
        I don't think its a coincidence that all of the top fighters/athletes are religious.
        lol when you say all....

Comment

do you have any PPV numbers for the hatton-pacman fight?

somehow i could create a new thread.. server too busy..

Comment

Originally posted by Buckfever View Post
            I don't really understand the reasoning. Not that I've had to recently, but if I were going into battle, I would certainly pray that I would survive to be with my family again. My Secret Service buddy prays that he will not meet harm in the performance of his duties, where certainly he may have to inflict harm. Just before I run the Marathon every year, I pray that I will survive it and be courageous in my effort.

If you don't think that boxing is an appropriate sport that's a whole separate issue, than whether one has faith and if it's appropriate for them to pray before entering the ring and to give thanks afterwards.
            Does taking part in an event uncharacteristic and unrepresentative of your faith and praying for protection during your partaking in this event not go hand in hand?

For instance, if the bible commands you not to kill, why would you take up a career which involves possibility of taking lives by order of another man?

Why would that same soldier pray to god before they go into battle with a chance that they have to kill and end up killing people, what was that prayer for?

Why bother? If you're not going to obey gods commandment and effectively knowingly and willingly commit one of the worst sins , why pray to him? What do they expect of that prayer?

So they prayed, sinned, and now what? Where do they go from there? Is it just go to confession and plea for forgiveness and that's it?

That's what I dont understand.

Comment

thats like jumping off the 2nd story and praying that you dont break your leg.. do you think god is into this kinda ****?

Comment

I think that if my wife or children were being attacked for instance and in that moment I prayed that God give me the strength to kill the mother****ers, I understand that completely. But then I admit I'm just a guy who enjoys boxing immensely and is very unqualified to have this discussion.

You take good care.

Comment

Originally posted by GrizzleBoy View Post
                  Boxing and religion. How can it possibly work?

I wonder if any boxer who preaches God is actually being serious?

It always baffled me when boxers talk about religion in the ring/pray in the ring.

"Please lord, give me the strength to knock this pretender the **** out, so that I may earn stupid amounts of money so that I can have the nicest wimminz and cars when I get to heaven. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen."

I mean what else could they possibly be thinking or saying? They're about to step into a ring for the sole purpose of hitting someone till they cant hit back. Am I missing the part where this is somehow condoned in religion?

To me, it's no different than religion based wars.

Makes no sense to be honest.
                  its just a sport. There's nothing immoral about it.

Comment

Originally posted by BmoreBrawler View Post
                    its just a sport. There's nothing immoral about it.
                    So what if it's a sport?

Nothing immoral about punching someone in the face for cash/another mans enjoyment?

Nothing immoral about training for no other reason than to step into a ring and hurt another person as much as you can for money and entertainment?

So labelling something to do with brutalising your fellow humans in the name of entertainment and money as "sport", instantly removes all kind of immorality?

Dont get me wrong, I ****ing LOVE boxing, but I'm not going to pretend it's something it is not.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiRock773 View Post
                      No this is Pacman praying before the fight....

"Please God...Let Ricky be O.K. after I knock the **** out of him...Let me not hurt him too bad...."
                      I may be an atheist, but I know that's bull****.The health of a dangerous fighter is the last thing that would go through the opponent's mind ,before a fight.

In this case,I didn't get the impression that Pacquaio was particularly concerned about Ricky's health,given the fact that he was basking in the crowd's adulation when he latter was lying near comatose on the canvas.

Before the fight,Pacman,as a believer,was just seeking mental and spiritual strength through prayer. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Comment

Working...
                      X