Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should fans hold fighters accountable for what their promoters do?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You guys act like these boxers from poverty can figure out how to run their boxing career themselves, or like they could even find the contacts

They NEED the fat cats like Bob Arum & Don King to get anywhere. If the fat cats weren't dishonest mofos then maybe this wouldn't be an issue.

Comment

Basically the best thing a boxer can hope for is to become a top fighter who eventually can gain enough clout in the boxing world to persuade fans/media to help persuade their own promoters to make the fights the fans/media want.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
        Would you outlaw long term contracts with the networks too, Sugar Adam Ali?
        Yeah, i would,,, Promoters can have the tv contracts, and then once they bid on the fights, they can show it on their tv network

I think fighters should be able to fight wherever, vs whoever, for the most money.... Longterm deals with promoters and TV makes it nearly impossible to maximize career earnings

Comment

Originally posted by SlySlickSmooth View Post
          You guys act like these boxers from poverty can figure out how to run their boxing career themselves, or like they could even find the contacts

They NEED the fat cats like Bob Arum & Don King to get anywhere. If the fat cats weren't dishonest mofos then maybe this wouldn't be an issue.
          They need good managers and trainers to guide them from amateurs to the pros,,,, Managers job is to make sure the fighter maximizes his earnings, while a promoters job is to make money off the fighter at the lowest price possible

Good managers are hard to find in boxing, hence why everyone seems to flock to al haymon,, he makes sure you get paid top dollar like a manager or agent should do....

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
            Look at Brandon Rios though. He wanted the Provodnikov fight and insisted he could make 140 but his promoter and his manager said no.

In his case he wasn't the boss, he ended up doing what he was told.
            See this is where problem comes into play, Top Rank (arum) works for Brandon Rios and they should do what he says reason they dont is they are the muscle (they have the connections, influence and the realtionship with the network not rios reason why everybody hired a promoter etc etc) and they have Rios under contract. I can see how this can seem contrary to what I said but truth is Top Rank only job is to promote the fight, it is his manger job to select the fights that rios tell him not top ranks job.

Reason top rank and other promotional companies get away with these sly tactics is the why the contracts are written. Top Rank is obligated to promote Rios for X amount of fights or years, those fights can be all non televised as long as Top Rank promotes it he full filled his end of the legal contracts.

We see all the time where figthers try to get out of there contract for this very reason, that promoters are not willing to work and get the fighter the fight he wants, and the fighters think the promoter are breaching the contracts but in reality the promoters only have to promote "A" fight to fullfill his end.

Its its a case of Big Bank Eats lil bank, You think when these fighters first sign there contracts they fully comprehend whats written in there? No and the lawyer they are appointed is provided by top rank or promotional company they are signing too.

See if rios really wanted to he probably can take Arum to court over his refusal to contractually promote teh ruslan fight, but arum will have a loop hole to save his ass. Its a up hill battle, but the promoters do work for the fighters not the other way around, just the promoters are experienced.

Comment

Many should, lets take Garcia for example hiding behind Arum. If he wanted the Gamboa fight, he could easily push for it. But he's very much content with using Arum as an excuse.
              Last edited by CLUE; 04-12-2014, 04:23 PM.

Comment

I think if you're a titlist especially one with a "name" out there, you should definitely be using the fans/media to your advantage to help secure you a fight that the fans want, granted that the titlist isn't a duck/coward.

AKA Adonis Stevenson

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                  They need good managers and trainers to guide them from amateurs to the pros,,,, Managers job is to make sure the fighter maximizes his earnings, while a promoters job is to make money off the fighter at the lowest price possible

Good managers are hard to find in boxing, hence why everyone seems to flock to al haymon,, he makes sure you get paid top dollar like a manager or agent should do....
                  A manager or agent or adviser or promoter. Which is Haymon exactly?

I've said my piece a number of times...and who I am I to deny that his rapidly growing stable all seem content that he's gonna get them the best deal out there.

I'm good with the fighters getting properly paid, but when managerial genius Haymon's signing guys like La Bomba and shot to hell Dawson I start to wonder why...

I'm OK with being a cynical ol' ba5tard, but don't come crying when every C level fight costs you $20 on top...just ask the Aus boxing fans.

Comment

Working...
                  X