No announcement yet.

jimmy Ellis winning streak

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jimmy Ellis winning streak

jimmy lost a majority decision to George Benton at middle weight then slowly packed on the weight to campaign at heavey he be leotis martin, Oscar Bonaveta, Jerry Quarry in the Wba elimination tourney and I am told had a debatable defense win over Floyd Patterson and then ran into Frazier and was stopped by this great fighter. I find it amazing that Jim could string those wins together against very good opposition and think he was fairly underrated.

A wonderful fellow who spoke softly and had a kind heart. He worked for M. Ali Productions when I did and he was a great inspiration for all kids who he touched. A fine amateur boxer and a willing pro who had impressive wins over some solid competitors. He was a good boxing coach and a religious man who cared for others. I think Jimmy just passed this summer at 75 yrs old.
    R.I.P Champion!

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
      jimmy lost a majority decision to George Benton at middle weight then slowly packed on the weight to campaign at heavey he be leotis martin, Oscar Bonaveta, Jerry Quarry in the Wba elimination tourney and I am told had a debatable defense win over Floyd Patterson and then ran into Frazier and was stopped by this great fighter. I find it amazing that Jim could string those wins together against very good opposition and think he was fairly underrated.
      Ellis was a very good fighter and deserves respect. But that decision win over Patterson was atrocious. I watched it on live TV and couldn't believe what I saw. Several years ago I acquired a tape of that fight and scored it 9-6 Patterson while giving Ellis every possible benefit of the doubt.

Comment

Working...
      X