Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone noticed how boxing has been getting more popular in order of weight classes?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone noticed how boxing has been getting more popular in order of weight classes?

everyone was complaining about the HW divison being dead for the last decade after lewis, tyson and a few others retired.

then boxing sort of fell off the map after that since the casual fan was no longer interested and was replaced with other sports like MMGAY for a brief period of time. the common fan just simply didnt wanna see small men duking it out. guys like rigo and mayweather just dont do it for casuals

well i noticed a trend over the last few years. starting at around the junior welter/ww divisions, boxing started to heat up. it all started with mayweather and pac mania. and around 2007 with floyd and oscar. hell the WW divison is STILL the hottest in boxing today. after that the next weight class up started to get a little hot, with guys like paul williams, joel julio, james kirkland, margarito, sergio, pavlik, taylor, b-hop, and a few others. this was circa 2007-2009

after that came the next weight class up, which is super middle. the super mw divison was stacked with guys like abraham, froch, ward, dirrel, bute, etc.. they even made the super 6 tournament. it still is stacked to this day with groves, froch, ward, and a few others. this was 2009-2011

now we are in 2013 and the next weight class up (175) is stacked these days. stevenson, kovalev, dawson, pascal, some guys from 168 who could move up, etc. ...the divison is really heating up. if we remain on this trend, then that means cruiser weight should start to heat up next? and i could see that potentially happening with guys like gulleirmo jones, lebedev, chambers, and some new blood.

so id say in a few years, after LHW blows up, cruiser will probably start to blow up. from there, we already know what comes next, and that is the big boy divison. we can already see foreshadowing of an exciting divison to come in the next few years with guys like wilder, fury, stiverne, chisora, by-by, haye?, etc. the klitckos might even be gone by then so the crown will be up for grabs which will make it more exciting.

anyway i was wondering if anyone noticed this as well? boxing seems to have been gradually getting more and more popular in the order of its weight divisons. thats not to say any 1 weight class is more/less exciting than another, or that the little guy divisons are not exciting (rigo, gamboa, loma, mikey, etc.), im just saying that it seems like boxing popularity is heading towards the big men. WW divison is still the best though
    Last edited by gratz_the_king; 12-19-2013, 10:07 PM.

Originally posted by gratz_the_king View Post
    everyone was complaining about the HW divison being dead for the last decade after lewis, tyson and a few others retired.

then boxing sort of fell off the map after that since the casual fan was no longer interested and was replaced with other sports like MMGAY for a brief period of time. the common fan just simply didnt wanna see small men duking it out. guys like rigo and mayweather just didnt do it for them

well i noticed a trend over the last few years. starting at around the junior welter/ww divisions, boxing started to heat up. it all started with mayweather and pac mania. and around 2007 with floyd and oscar. hell the WW divison is STILL the hottest in boxing today. after that the next weight class up started to get a little hot, with guys like paul williams, joel julio, james kirkland, margarito, sergio, pavlik, taylor, b-hop, and a few others. this was circa 2007-2009

after that came the next weight class up, which is super middle. the super mw divison was stacked with guys like abraham, froch, ward, dirrel, bute, etc.. they even made the super 6 tournament. it still is stacked to this day with groves, froch, ward, and a few others. this was 2009-2011

now we are in 2013 and the next weight class up (175) is stacked these days. stevenson, kovalev, dawson, pascal, some guys from 168 who could move up, etc. ...the divison is really heating up. if we remain on this trend, then that means cruiser weight should start to heat up next? and i could see that potentially happening with guys like gulleirmo jones, lebedev, chambers, and some new blood.

so id say in a few years, after LHW blows up, cruiser will probably start to blow up. from there, we already know what comes next, and that is the big boy divison. we can already see foreshadowing of an exciting divison to come in the next few years with guys like wilder, fury, stiverne, haye?, etc. the klitckos might even be gone by then so the crown will be up for grabs which will make it more exciting.

anyway i was wondering if anyone noticed this as well? boxing seems to have been gradually getting more and more popular in the order of its weight divisons. thats not to say any 1 weight class is more/less exciting than another, or that the little guy divisons are not exciting (rigo, gamboa, loma, mikey, etc.), im just saying that it seems like boxing popularity is heading towards the big men. WW divison is still the best though
    Yeah, it has clearly only become popular because of Pacman and Floyd. Casuals have never heard of guys like De La Hoya or Sugar Ray Leonard.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadLikeMe View Post
      Yeah, it has clearly only become popular because of Pacman and Floyd. Casuals have never heard of guys like De La Hoya or Sugar Ray Leonard.
      ofcourse they have but that has nothing to do with my topic. i think you missed the point and are just trying to start an argument. all im saying is it seems as if boxing was dead for a while amongst casuals. and since then it has started to grow in popularity again in order of weight classes. this has nothing to do with leonard or DLH since they peaked before the big boxing downfall in the mid 2000's when every1 was once again stating "boxing is dead"

Comment

I dont see any trend.

LHW is not that popular, neither is 168. WW is probably the most popular with the best world talent.

Comment

female bantamweight will always be the most popular.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
            female bantamweight will always be the most popular.
            ...in bed.

Comment

Working...
            X