Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why don't more Eastern European Olympians turn pro?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why don't more Eastern European Olympians turn pro?

It seems like at every Olympics there will be at least one EE boxer who is impressive yet never turns professional.

What's the reason for this?

I cannot think of any successful British or American amateurs who have decided not to pursue a pro career.

Do they basically just go and live normal lives, doing a normal averagely-paid job?

yeah, i have wondered why vasyl lomachenko hasnt turned pro yet... that guy impressed the hell out of me last olympics.

Comment

Probably because in those countries they get paid very well by continuing their amateur career and representing their country, and many even get into politics later in their life.

Comment

Originally posted by tennesseeboy View Post
        yeah, i have wondered why vasyl lomachenko hasnt turned pro yet... that guy impressed the hell out of me last olympics.
        He's only 20 and waiting till after the 2012 games. He'll only be 23/24 then. Lots of time.

Would of like to have seen Gaydarbekov, Tishchenko, Romanchuk turn pro.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikhnienko View Post
          He's only 20 and waiting till after the 2012 games. He'll only be 23/24 then. Lots of time.

Would of like to have seen Gaydarbekov, Tishchenko, Romanchuk turn pro.
          so lomachenko will turn pro after 2012? great news.. awesome talent

Comment

I watched Olympic boxing in 2000, 2004 and 2008 and Lomachenko is the most impressive amateur boxer I've seen during that time. I can't wait for the guy to turn pro, I'd be shocked if he didn't end up winning a couple of world titles.

Comment

Originally posted by Clegg View Post
              I watched Olympic boxing in 2000, 2004 and 2008 and Lomachenko is the most impressive amateur boxer I've seen during that time. I can't wait for the guy to turn pro, I'd be shocked if he didn't end up winning a couple of world titles.
              yeah, i agree... he has impressed me more than any other olympic boxer i have ever seen myself... and they say the guys work ethic is off the charts.. not good news for fellow fighters..

Comment

Working...
              X