No announcement yet.

Developing a good jab?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Developing a good jab?

Any tricks, theories, etc for bettering your jab? I have an absolutely terrible jab and I find it hard to set up anything with it. When I spar/fight, I basically abandon it if I can't land it without getting hit back or badly positioned. I have surprisingly done well without it and decided I'd be double the fighter if I had it. So, again, any tricks or philosophies on this punch? haha.

Originally posted by BG_Knocc_Out View Post
    Any tricks, theories, etc for bettering your jab? I have an absolutely terrible jab and I find it hard to set up anything with it. When I spar/fight, I basically abandon it if I can't land it without getting hit back or badly positioned. I have surprisingly done well without it and decided I'd be double the fighter if I had it. So, again, any tricks or philosophies on this punch? haha.
    the key to the jab is distance and a good jab. the good jab comes from jabbing 1000 times a day for years. the distance comes from hitting the pads and heavy bag with distance as the # 1 priority especially important is getting the distance down when you step in with your jab.

also is the right feeling behind the jab, i lean all the way forward so my upper body is pretty much parelle with the ground and jab to get the right feeling. when you jab like this all hunched over the weight from your back is moving in a straight line straight from your back to your shoulder and straight down your arm. then just pratice jabbing like you normally would but with this feeling in mind.

and jab all the time, bored nothing to do jab a few times, waiting for a d/l to finish jab a few times, just got done on the toilet jab a few times, leaving for work jab a few times, killing time at work jab a few times, watching a rocky movie and you get the urge to jab a few times jab a few times, sitting at your comp trying to think of what to say in your next post jab a few times, just jab all the time.
    Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 10-18-2010, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Is jabbing air ok then spartacus?
      Jab is supposed to be the most important punch. But when someone can counter it so good then its not so good. And when you fight someone else who has a better jab, you better learn a few more punches than just a jab.

Seems like such a easy punch but so much to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by hugh grant View Post
        Is jabbing air ok then spartacus?
        Jab is supposed to be the most important punch. But when someone can counter it so good then its not so good. And when you fight someone else who has a better jab, you better learn a few more punches than just a jab.

Seems like such a easy punch but so much to learn.
        jab air? like shadow boxing? or like jabbing at some one and missing? jabbing the air isnt going to help you develop distance hitting a bag and pads will. jabbing the air will help you get a faster and more powerful jab. i jab the air like 500 times a day.

how do people counter a jab? people dont counter jabs people let themselfs be countered when they jab because people get lazy and stop throwing their shoulder into the jabs, they stop tucking their chin and they cant keep their right up.

reguardless of how good or crappy your jab is if your stance isnt correct your going to get countered.

and knowing other punches when fighting some one with a better jab isnt going to be any where near as helpful as a sound defense.

Comment

Originally posted by BG_Knocc_Out View Post
          there is no tricks or any type of wizardry when it comes to developing a jab,first you need stability in your stance,second you need to throw your jab with the intent of pin point accuracy and thirdly try and double up on the jab

Comment

I'm not going to go into no explanations. Have sparring sessions where you only use your lead hand. My coach will at times rig my rear hand up to my cheek and I can onl spar with my lead hand, while the other guy can pracice his too, or if you're more comfortable with your defense he can have full use of both his hands.

Comment

Work on your triceps in the weight room.

Since I built up my triceps my jab got significantly stronger.

Thats one aspect of improving it.....you got to have technique first. Its still a punch that you need to incorporate your whole body into, but building up my triceps def gave me more pop.

Comment

if it was as easy as a magician waving his wand,then everyone would have a good strong jab,the jab must be worked hard,it must be carefully align itself with the overall coordination of all combinations

Comment

Thanks for the input guys.

Just one question. Should you turn over your punch when you jab, or should you just keep it straight, stiff, and aligned? Or either depending on situations?

Comment

try to coil up your jab and throw it hard from the ground, step and/or pivot in from the ball of your foot, twist your hip in, turn your body into it and throw your arm hard (coil up and fire like a snake would strike). don't need to step back or anything, drill it in there like u would with a right hand. it's a heatseeking missile when throwing it hard or leading in for a hard combination, more (softer) jabs as range finders & finding openings, harder jabs to stop the momentum of your opponent or create some distance.

that's my philosophy.

Comment

Working...
                    X