No announcement yet.

Any advantages to using the heaviest heavy bag in the gym

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any advantages to using the heaviest heavy bag in the gym

I hear a lot of such strong punchers using these amazingly heavy heavy bags, is there any advantage for someone to be using such a heavy ass bag?

I don't think there's any advantage but you use a heavier bag when you are working on power punches. Mainly to the body for example when you are boxing in the pocket or against a slower moving opponent.

Comment

Originally posted by slickslysmooth View Post
      I hear a lot of such strong punchers using these amazingly heavy heavy bags, is there any advantage for someone to be using such a heavy ass bag?
      They are great for "sit down" bag drills

Comment

Might as well just use a 70lb bag, because you can throw all you got into the it with a smaller chance of breaking your wrists than you'd have punching a 100lb bag.

If you get a 100lb+ bag; you best wrap them wrists, especially if you want to go Joe Frazier on that ****. They can be good for training jabs and crosses.

Comment

Marciano

Marciano used to use a very heavy, heavy bag. The philosophy being his punches should be able to throw back a 200 pound man. Not sure I believe that. Probably less risk to your wrist with a lighter bag. I never liked a very hard bag myself. I noticed that heavy bags are much harder than they were years ago. I hit one that Joe Louis used to hit and it was pretty soft. I guess easier on the hands.

Comment

My new home bag is 68ib .It's in the exact same place as this bag only it's 1 foot bigger but they are very similar .This one is 3 foot my other is 4 foot but I used the stuffing out this one to get the weight up .Here they don't do weights hardly I had to weight it myself they go by size ( foot etc ) . When I use my home one it makes most the ones in the gym feel light .There is a huge one in the local gym though and it's a quality one and gym .I like to use that as well but for me 68 ibs is plenty .Without the huge one though the rest in the gym would feel light .My new bag is a good one .
            http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/al...pictureid=2445
            Last edited by alza1988; 08-09-2012, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by slickslysmooth View Post
              To increase your strength and endurance!!!

Comment

Working...
              X