Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opportunist Champions - Lennox, Tyson, Floyd

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=ShoulderRoll;16414939And Floyd never said he'd accept a 50/50 purse split.[/QUOTE]

Didn't they agree on a 50/50 in the original negotiations that fell apart because of the drug testing clause?

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
      Opportunist Champions - Fighters who chose to fight due to injury etc

Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao - Floyd demanded 75-25 purse split, drug testing and all sorts of other demands. Fight fans never expected the fight to ever come off, THEN Pacquiao incurred a "Shoulder Injury" Floyd almost immediately told the entire boxing world, I will accept 50/50 purse split.

Lennox Lewis vs Mike Tyson - Lewis turned down a career high payday of $13 million + a guaranteed Title shot in 1996, Lewis made all kinds of excuses to not fight Tyson. Then in 2002 Lewis seen Mike Tyson weighing over 280lbs, heard Tyson was addicted to anti-depressants, alcohol, cocaine & cannabis. Lewis offered Tyson a title fight with 50/50 purse split.

Mike Tyson vs Michael Spinks - Tyson knew Michael Spinks was finished due to a damaged knee. The Tyson Camp offered Spinks $13 million an offer he couldn't refuse. Spinks lost in the first round and never fought again.

Ricky Hatton vs Kostya Tzyzu - Tzyzu was injured so badly, he would never fight again. But Frank Warren Hatton's promoter, offered Tzyzu over £5 million a career highest payday to come to Manchester to fight Hatton.. Tzyzu lost and never fought again.

Which other opportunist fighters can you think of?
      Do you still think Frank Bruno is better than Lewis?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
        Didn't they agree on a 50/50 in the original negotiations that fell apart because of the drug testing clause?
        The original poster said that once Floyd found out about the shoulder injury he offered a 50/50 split. This never happened.

That's what I was referring to.

Comment

Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao - Floyd demanded 75-25 purse split, drug testing and all sorts of other demands. Fight fans never expected the fight to ever come off, THEN Pacquiao incurred a "Shoulder Injury" Floyd almost immediately told the entire boxing world, I will accept 50/50 purse split.

Lennox Lewis vs Mike Tyson - Lewis turned down a career high payday of $13 million + a guaranteed Title shot in 1996, Lewis made all kinds of excuses to not fight Tyson. Then in 2002 Lewis seen Mike Tyson weighing over 280lbs, heard Tyson was addicted to anti-depressants, alcohol, cocaine & cannabis. Lewis offered Tyson a title fight with 50/50 purse split.

Mike Tyson vs Michael Spinks - Tyson knew Michael Spinks was finished due to a damaged knee. The Tyson Camp offered Spinks $13 million an offer he couldn't refuse. Spinks lost in the first round and never fought again.

Ricky Hatton vs Kostya Tzyzu - Tzyzu was injured so badly, he would never fight again. But Frank Warren Hatton's promoter, offered Tzyzu over £5 million a career highest payday to come to Manchester to fight Hatton.. Tzyzu lost and never fought again.

Lennox's team took King and Tyson before the New Jersey Supreme Court who blocked Tyson's bid to fight Bruce Seldon ruling that he had an obligation to fight Lewis for the WBC strap. Team Tyson tried to have the ruling overturned. When that failed they paid Lennox 4 million dollars and gave a guarrentee that he'd fight Tyson for the WBC belt by 1st September if he stepped aside and allowed Tyson to fight Seldom for the WBA title. After beating Seldon Tyson relinquished the WBC belt rather than fulfill his obligation to fight Lewis.

Rather than your trolling assertion that Frank Warren craftily paid an injured Tszyu to enter a fight he couldn't win, Warren not only didn't want to make that bout but he didn't think Ricky would win it. After years of being fed sub par opponents for the WBU title Ricky forced Warren's hand into pitting him against a fighter he could test himself against.

Why you're permitted to troll in the history section is beyond me. Rather than being humorous, the fact that Elrod, boxingscene's biggest troll has just put you in your box, is indicative of the way that you have both insidiously brought a once decent section closer to your level.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
            The original poster said that once Floyd found out about the shoulder injury he offered a 50/50 split. This never happened.

That's what I was referring to.
            Didn't Manny's shoulder injury only come out after the fight?

Comment

I always wondered what Tzsyu's condition was for the Hatton fight. I didn't see a big reason for him to quit because of anything Hatton did. To know he was injured, it now makes more sense.

Of course, there is Leonard in the Duran rematch. Don King told him Duran would balloon up which he did and Duran definitely paid the price. I'm not saying it was Leonard's fault or even wrong, but it was opportunist.

Comment

Originally posted by Elroy1 View Post
                It is interesting this business, forgetting the technical inaccuracies which are unimportant, about Mayweather lightening his attitude and offering a bigger solit to Pacquiao in light of hearing about his injury prior to the fight...

I've never seen any proof of that so will have to take it with a pinch of salt even though I want that to be true. But honestly, knowing the extreme scum that Floyd is, I would not be the slightest bit surprised!!

As for the rest of your post it is in my opinion- handwavable garbage!

Your agenda against LEnnox clouds your judgement and Michael Spinks was finished the day he even heard the name Mike Tyson, long before any alleged "injury" LOL
                very excellent points Mike Tyson at that point in his career was just so devastating there was some turmoil in his personal life at that time but he just channeled it and jumped on spinks an amazing display of killer instinct

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                  Didn't Manny's shoulder injury only come out after the fight?
                  Yes. Although some people want to claim that Floyd had "spies" in the Pacquiao camp who alerted him to it beforehand.

Comment

50/50 - 60/40 or whatever it was was better than 75/25... fighters know all what is going on with their competitors. Trainers and sparring partners get to hear.. Pacquiao could not turn down the Floyd fight, simply because the money was too big. Pacquiao's shoulder will now be Ok but Floyd won't want anything to do with rematch.

Lewis vs Tyson - A british tabloid posted a picture of Tyson, weighing 280lbs+ only three months after Tyson fought Brian Nielson in Denmark. Tyson himself claims he spent almost 3 months in the sauna. Just so he looked respectable on fight night. Manny Stewart knew all about Tyson being addicted to anti-depressants etc... world class sparring partners move from camp to camp
                    My God you are stupid. Not just stupid, very dumb as well. I would wager your IQ is in the low 90's at best. It is you who knows everything, even what the camps of fighters know. Yes, you know it all, you bag of excrement. Your name is offal.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
                      I always wondered what Tzsyu's condition was for the Hatton fight. I didn't see a big reason for him to quit because of anything Hatton did. To know he was injured, it now makes more sense.

Of course, there is Leonard in the Duran rematch. Don King told him Duran would balloon up which he did and Duran definitely paid the price. I'm not saying it was Leonard's fault or even wrong, but it was opportunist.
                      yeah king may have been the one of the people that said that but dundee was also very familiar with Duran blowing up before fights if it was kings motivation to make money after Duran lost a decision and promote a third fight that backfired

Comment

Working...
                      X