No announcement yet.

Right Hand Lead Tips....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right Hand Lead Tips....

An dangerous punch but so effective when used properly. I throw the punch often and many people ask me for tips at the gym

My three tips are:

1) Do not load up and make it powerful, it's the speed and shock of the punch that makes it effective

2) Always have an exit plan other wise you will be punished. E.g. pivot out, smother, pull back... ect

3) Vary the angles when throwing the punch and vary the punch itself. E.g. Faint low then shoot the straight right hand lead upstairs. The punch has to be as unpredictable as possible.

Watch Floyd Mayweather and BHop, they both have mastered this punch.

What would your 3 tips be?

Originally posted by Bozbay View Post
    An dangerous punch but so effective when used properly. I throw the punch often and many people ask me for tips at the gym

My three tips are:

1) Do not load up and make it powerful, it's the speed and shock of the punch that makes it effective

2) Always have an exit plan other wise you will be punished. E.g. pivot out, smother, pull back... ect

3) Vary the angles when throwing the punch and vary the punch itself. E.g. Faint low then shoot the straight right hand lead upstairs. The punch has to be as unpredictable as possible.

Watch Floyd Mayweather and BHop, they both have mastered this punch.

What would your 3 tips be?
    Watch Tyson vs Holyfield I, even though Tyson lost, I was amazed seeing him leading with right hands A LOT, almost like Floyd Mayweather.

Comment

Do not make it powerful? Man you kids have been watching way too much Mayweather, Try some Roy Jones.

The only secret to a lead cross is to get as close as you can, using subtle feints and edging closer deceptively before letting go of the punch, which if you put your full power into should help you move your head off the center line. Come in with your head low, chin tucked and yes, have that exit plan.

Comment

Originally posted by SplitSecond View Post
        Do not make it powerful? Man you kids have been watching way too much Mayweather, Try some Roy Jones.

The only secret to a lead cross is to get as close as you can, using subtle feints and edging closer deceptively before letting go of the punch, which if you put your full power into should help you move your head off the center line. Come in with your head low, chin tucked and yes, have that exit plan.
        So because I said do not load up that means I watch too much of Mayweather lol? Really? So now you know who I watch and what I watch right? It's KEY that you don't put full power into the punch, not even Jones did, he just had a natural snap behind it but he never throw it with 'full power'?

Look up any fighter who throws the lead right well, you DO NOT put full power into the punch... E.g. a BHop video. Everything else is great

Comment

Originally posted by Bozbay View Post
          So because I said do not load up that means I watch too much of Mayweather lol? Really? So now you know who I watch and what I watch right? It's KEY that you don't put full power into the punch, not even Jones did, he just had a natural snap behind it but he never throw it with 'full power'?

Look up any fighter who throws the lead right well, you DO NOT put full power into the punch... E.g. a BHop video. Everything else is great
          both you gotta relax hahahah

Comment

A right hand lead can be thrown multiple ways, stop aruging you two its muggy.

Comment

There was no argument. I posted my thoughts. I'm not saying you can't throw an arm punch right, there is a time and a place for everything. But it is funny that this kid thinks it's key you throw it like a fast jab.

Comment

There was no argument. I posted my thoughts. I'm not saying you can't throw an arm punch right, there is a time and a place for everything. But it is funny that this kid thinks it's key you throw it like a fast jab.
                Ideally you do though and it being from your right, the rotation and drive you get out of it makes it significantly stronger than just a jab. The point is to get in and out quick without him seeing thus doing the most damage.
                Last edited by PitbullParsons; 05-28-2015, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PitbullParsons View Post
                  Ideally you do though and it being from your right, the rotation and drive you get out of it makes it significantly stronger than just a jab. The point is to get in and out quick without him seeing thus doing the most damage.
                  Definitely not. Ideally you want to throw a hard punch in hopes that it will KO your opponent. There is no rotation if your trying to throw it like a fast jab, you're already squared up and throw an arm punch.

Ideal.

Not ideal.
                  Last edited by SplitSecond; 05-28-2015, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Most of you guys have probably already seen it, but from around 2:15 Mayweather gives some tips on it as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqOJp9Wmayo

Comment

Working...
                    X