Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has any old master ever beat as many young, hungry lions as Hopkins has?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
    It is a good term, the law of the jungle states that the old will get replaced by the new but that old lion just isn't going to give up his position but there are many lions out there looking for that spot.

You could use any animal really, but lions are the kings of the jungle so to speak so I think it fits very well with boxing.
    Lions are over rated as shyt man.. A polarbear will literally kill any lion in a 1 v1.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
      Just because a fighter is young, doesn't mean they are hungry or a lion. Guys that aren't even young are called young, hungry, lions.

Just irritates me. Sorry, not trying to take credit from Hopkins, who is one of the best fighters of my lifetime and does deserve credit for fighting who he fights and beating them at his age.
      Well is is about comparison if the old lion is 35 a young lion could be 30 especially if that old lion holds a higher spot on the sport.

It is all about position and taking that spot, the old lion is getting the female lions but he is always going to get challenged by various others, eventually one will take his spot.

I didn't take it as a dis to Hopkins at all, I am merely discussing the phrase in general because I like it although i am a big Discovery/Nat Geo guy.
      Last edited by The Gambler1981; 03-01-2013, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Skittlez View Post
        Lions are over rated as shyt man.. A polarbear will literally kill any lion in a 1 v1.
        I think you are discounting how big and powerful male lions are, but in the polar bear in a cold weather situation would have a hometown advantage~

A polar bear ain't messing with no lion on the plains of Africa though.

Comment

Hopkins doesn't get much credit for what he's done and who he's beaten in his career.

To think his break out win was at 35 years old in 2001, and it's 2013 and he's about to fight yet another young, dangerous, powerful, undefeated, top 3 LHW tank in Tavoris Cloud. Cloud's only con is that he's very slow with poor defense, but still dangerous and can drop any one with one punch.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
            Cloud's only con is that he's very slow with poor defense, but still dangerous and can drop any one with one punch.
            The guy has one stoppage in his last 5 fights against not great opposition, don't exaggerate how dangerous he is. The stoppage win came against Mack who was literally blown away by Froch much earlier.

Comment

"Old Master" really who has fought thats a great fighter? He fought Jones in their prime and got beat..............he lost twice to Jermain Taylor!!! Good yes! ATG NO!!!
              Listen I give credit to Bernard for his efforts to "ruin a fight" or "steal one" but he doesn't come to fight anymore and the truth is he's boring as hell!
              His win over Roy was in Roy's twilight and these other guys like Dawson and Calzaghe are NOT great fighters their sucesses are because of a weak boxing era. Just imagine Dawson in with Mike Spinks!!!!!
              Bernard, Juan, Manny & Floyd need to go home they got theirs time for some young blood to take over. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                Hopkins doesn't get much credit for what he's done and who he's beaten in his career.

To think his break out win was at 35 years old in 2001, and it's 2013 and he's about to fight yet another young, dangerous, powerful, undefeated, top 3 LHW tank in Tavoris Cloud. Cloud's only con is that he's very slow with poor defense, but still dangerous and can drop any one with one punch.
                He really can't drop anyone with one punch.

He really doesn't have that kind of power, at all. His power is overrated, he's not a crushing puncher.

That's not his only con or flaw either. His footwork is awful, his stamina isn't great, he doesn't cut off the ring well, he doesn't really do anything exceptionally well and does most things poorly.

He's not very good and Hopkins is going to embarrass him. This is going to be one of his easiest fights.

Comment

Originally posted by Bring It On View Post
                  The guy has one stoppage in his last 5 fights against not great opposition, don't exaggerate how dangerous he is. The stoppage win came against Mack who was literally blown away by Froch much earlier.
                  Cloud is powerful and I would certainly call him heavy handed. He doesn't have true one punch KO power but his hanss clearly hurt people. How often have we seen iron faced Glen Johnson rocked and on jelo legs? Not often. And although he should have lost to Campillo he hurt him a couple times and floored him. That doesn't look as impressive now after Campillo's last fight of course but at the time it showed his power.

At 48 years old and being hurt by Pascal and Dawson, I'd say Cloud's power is certainly a danger to Hopkins at this point of his career.

Comment

Originally posted by Bring It On View Post
                    Yusuf Mack's chin is literally made from glass.

I was absolutely shocked he wasn't taken out in the first few rounds by Cloud.

I know Cloud's power is overrated but I expected Mack to go to sleep or to the ground the second he grazed him.

Not only did that not happen but Mack gave him all kinds of problems until he finally caught him.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS View Post
                      Cloud is powerful and I would certainly call him heavy handed. He doesn't have true one punch KO power but his hanss clearly hurt people. How often have we seen iron faced Glen Johnson rocked and on jelo legs? Not often. And although he should have lost to Campillo he hurt him a couple times and floored him. That doesn't look as impressive now after Campillo's last fight of course but at the time it showed his power.

At 48 years old and being hurt by Pascal and Dawson, I'd say Cloud's power is certainly a danger to Hopkins at this point of his career.
                      Pascal hits harder than Cloud.

Cloud can punch and has some power obviously but like you said he's not stopping Hopkins with one punch I doubt he even hurts Hopkins at any point, he's way too slow.

And there's no way he lands on a consistent basis to give Hopkins any danger.

Comment

Working...
                      X