No announcement yet.

where did the passion in boxers go and when did it leave them

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where did the passion in boxers go and when did it leave them

thats whats wrong with fighters now a days they dont fight with passion and the ones that do are on theyr way out like cotto he doesnt have much longer and pacquiao lost his passion before you used to see it in his training and in his fights but he lost it look at the pac-marquez 3rd fight he barely ever elected to trade punches in that fight and mayweather never had it no young fighter has the passion

Originally posted by transportcd View Post
    thats whats wrong with fighters now a days they dont fight with passion and the ones that do are on theyr way out like cotto he doesnt have much longer and pacquiao lost his passion before you used to see it in his training and in his fights but he lost it look at the pac-marquez 3rd fight he barely ever elected to trade punches in that fight and mayweather never had it no young fighter has the passion
    Every fighter has passion it takes a special person to go in there and fight for a living.

I believe all the people you named have passion

Now a loss of passion would be jones and Holyfield there just in it for the money.

Comment

those two are the only ones who still have passion they are fighting to be champion again mayweather doesnt fight to be a champion he fights for the money and so does manny cotto has passion bt i dnt like that he calls boxing his job

sorry bt no fighter out there today but maybe maruez out there fights for passion you can see it in they way they fight and in theyre eyes

Comment

I think these days that the passion is there its just that the difference between the haves and have nots (in the skill department is alot wider than it used to be) Some fighters that go into matchups believing they are elite end up realizing they arent and cant hang so they get real with themselves. Im not one of these guys that honestly believe that fighters of past generations were as great as the history books or historians would make us believe.

Comment

I don't believe there fighting to be champions Roy and Holyfield know the jig is up holy feilds fighting to pay for them kids and Roy for the pride.

What Floyd says I take with a grain of salt he talks out his a$$for the camera he's passionate about the sport he wants his legacy to be great you can tell if he was in it for the money he would be fighting bums which he his not.

Pacquiao still has passion just to many distractions

Bradley has passion

Khan has passion

Ortiz has passion

Mares has passion

Donaire have passion

There fighting good fighters constantly come in top shape and always give it there all

Jones/toney/Holyfield/Abraham/Judah all examples of no passion their here to get paid and because they don't wanna get outta the spotlight ....nothing more nothing less

Comment

mrboomer sorry bt ur only right on 3 accounts donaire mares and maybe khan and thats it

donaire - he throws to kill you with his punches

mares - he fights his ass off everytime

khan - maybe look at the maidana fight he did not back off in that fight

Comment

Vinny Pazienza, Macho Camacho, Jones, Emanuel Augustus, Lloyd Honegan, DuranJack Dempsey, Ted Kid Lewis, Freddy Mills, Tyson, they ALL had passion, and so on. Of course, with some of them it faded after time,but they needed the money.

Comment

I think Floyd has passion, it's just different for him. Floyd may be a douche, but he's extremely prideful...that and no sane, non-passionate person puts in the kind of work he does. His work ethic is to be admired and respected...

Pac I think is passionate. But also different... Pac is passionate, but I don't know about hungry anymore. I think there's a difference. Before Pac was hungry, but he's reached the peak, he can only go down from here and the only thing keeping him around is passion I feel.

Martinez is also a classy example imo.

There's also Margarito..cheat or not, dude lives to fight. Froch is also pretty passionate.

Donaire imo is not among what I would consider a "passionate" fighter. I think Donaire is content with where he is...which is not that great of a spot..

Bradley seems passionate. I think Shane HAS to be passionate to still be fighting. I seriously doubt he needs the money...especially for how little he was paid against Canelo. You don't stay on your feet after absorbing what he did against Canelo if you aren't passionate.

There's a lot of passionate fighters out there, it's just not as cut and dry as it was with the older school fighters who didn't see the kind of money as some of the guys have recently but there was great prestige to be had.

Comment

near you are absoultely right except on pacquiaos passion and edgar nice names i agree on all of them

Comment

You're saying it went elsewhere based on what?

To use an example from your avatar, Ray Robinson turned down plenty of fights if he didn't feel he was going to be paid enough (take into account his massive ego and 'enough' can mean a lot more than was reasonable at the time), he also didn't fight Charley Burley citing that he was 'too pretty to fight him'.

Imagine if Mayweather said that?

Comment

Working...
                    X