Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to throw the uppercut like naseem hammed?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to throw the uppercut like naseem hammed?

How exactly does he do it?

He seems to jump into it lol

I know I shouldn't use it but I just want to learn it for fun and curiosities sake.

I can throw a front arm uppercut straight from my stance, but how he does it is unique and I dont know how he does it.

Anyone got a gif of him throwing it?

I find jumping up and forward into the uppercut reduces its power oddly what am i doing wrong?

I find a regular front arm uppercut or shovel hook more powerful.

Comment

He shifts his weight. It looks closer to a jab that is "rising" than a traditional uppercut that is turned over. Look at how he extends it. Looks closer to a jab to me.

@ 17:23?

Last edited by Biolink; 03-08-2014, 04:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Biolink View Post
        He shifts his weight. It looks closer to a jab that is "rising" than a traditional uppercut that is turned over. Look at how he extends it. Looks closer to a jab to me.

@ 17:23?

thanks for the video and answer mate, yea thats the one, how is he shifting weight? his weight seems to start on the front foot and stay on the front foot?
        Last edited by AlexKid; 03-08-2014, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Looks like he is leaning on his back foot a little then dips forward and uses the momentum of shifting weight forward to drive the uppercut.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
            How exactly does he do it?

He seems to jump into it lol

I know I shouldn't use it but I just want to learn it for fun and curiosities sake.

I can throw a front arm uppercut straight from my stance, but how he does it is unique and I dont know how he does it.

Anyone got a gif of him throwing it?
            i know how he does it now kinda, same as getting leg drive from any normal punch, theres no leap thats just naseems power coming through, he doesnt bother to weight shift but some people say with an uppercut you shouldnt and others say you should for optimal power. If you notice his cross/hook after is lousy and weak because he didnt weight shift with the uppercut.
            Last edited by AlexKid; 03-09-2014, 03:18 AM.

Comment

He did weight shift. Thats why his hips turned and the side of his body when he threw it.

He didnt have anything to load up the left shot with because the guy was in his space, and even then he still turned into it.

For those big spaces he covers in movement he's pushing off his back foot.

Comment

Originally posted by Layzie Kidd View Post
                He did weight shift. Thats why his hips turned and the side of his body when he threw it.

He didnt have anything to load up the left shot with because the guy was in his space, and even then he still turned into it.

For those big spaces he covers in movement he's pushing off his back foot.
                No there was no weight on his rear foot, so no proper weight shift hence the weak follow up punch

Comment

In that particular uppercut at 17:23 his opponent is using predictable head movement with no jab. Naseem's opponent drops his head several times and Naseem trys to time it just right with that uppercut. Had it landed flush it could have been a KO.

And just because he is leaning forward doesn't mean he isn't using his back foot to drive into the punch and close the distance. Fighters like Naseem, RJJ, Mosley and others can throw punches from crazy angles like this because of their balance and footwork.

Its a normal uppercut he just times it right, closes the distance and his footwork creates good angles.

Speed plays a part too. Also reflexes because is opponents a lot of times shut down because they cant hit him. Hence why he gets away with "leaping in" with a lead uppercut.

Comment

Originally posted by Beavis_5000 View Post
                    In that particular uppercut at 17:23 his opponent is using predictable head movement with no jab. Naseem's opponereflexes because is opponents a lot of times shut down because they cant hit him. Hence why he gets away with "leaping in" with a lead uppercut.
                    Ah yes good point lazy kid and beavis he is pushing off the rear foot.
                    Last edited by AlexKid; 03-10-2014, 12:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X