Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time for a new "Super 6"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super 6 was awesome but you need all guys under contract, and it also freezes a division and has one guy who beats everyone and then you already need a new challenger for the division. I liked it a lot, but I don't feel like the weight class has changed much recently.

Comment

Originally posted by Prince Mongo View Post
      You are spot on. The Super 6 is really an attempt to go back to one title per weight class where there is no bail out and the best have to fight the best.Bute sat it out hoping the best SMM fighters would destroy eachother and he could take advantage of it and fight the left over wrecks. It did not work out that way and despite not signing up for Super 6 he was exposed by it.
      The LWW division could have done with a Super 6 in fact it could do with one now. I don't like the way Lucas Matthysse is being messed around and if there was a Super 6 in the LWW division it could not happen.These type of tournaments do the frauds no favors and provide no hiding places and are potential career wreckers for them.
      Agreed. Although I think it went on for too long the six tournament did give second chances. Although Froch lost to Kessler he still had a chance to come back. That woundn't work for a lot of these frauds in the other divisions because they lose one fight, then wanna fight a bunch of cab drivers so they can win easily and put themselves back in contention. Its a little different when you lose to a good fighter and than have to jump right back in with another good fighter afterwards to earn your spot back.

Comment

Originally posted by Japanese Boxing View Post
        Super 6 was awesome but you need all guys under contract, and it also freezes a division and has one guy who beats everyone and then you already need a new challenger for the division. I liked it a lot, but I don't feel like the weight class has changed much recently.
        Yeah everybody even got their titles back after it was over.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
          If this were to happen, they should make it a single or double elimination tourney. No need to see a fighter lose 3 of 4 times. It drags it on too long as well.
          Would like to see a single elimination 8-man tourney at 154 myself...

Comment

It needs to happen in the 140lb division, and thats that. Div. is way too stacked. It'll bring really good lighting back to boxing.

Comment

The Super 6 was a great idea in principle, and it achieved the aim of finding the best in the division. My only real criticism would be that it went on too long. A variation of the format would be great in other weight classes. As always, politics and self interest will ensure that it doesn't happen.

Comment

I'd like to see one in heavyweight once the Klitschko's retire for the vacant belts.

Comment

Not gonna happen in the WW division. Most of the big fighters just happen to be in between TopRank and Goldenboy.

Comment

Working...
                  X