Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I be sore at the end of each boxing workout?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I be sore at the end of each boxing workout?

Every day when I do a boxing workout, my shoulder muscles and hip muscles are always a bit sore, though in a good way. Sometimes, but not always, my legs and calf muscles get a bit sore too.

When they start feeling sore, I always stop soon after to avoid overtraining. Is this a good thing?

Originally posted by DMD3 View Post
    Every day when I do a boxing workout, my shoulder muscles and hip muscles are always a bit sore, though in a good way. Sometimes, but not always, my legs and calf muscles get a bit sore too.

When they start feeling sore, I always stop soon after to avoid overtraining. Is this a good thing?
    You should really only feel sore after your first initial workout. If you are continuing to feel sore you need to cutback because that's a major sign you're doing too much. As each workout per day passes, gradually increase your activity (without soreness) until your body adapts to the stress you're putting on it. Before you know it you'll be able to put in the work you want with nothing but positive gains.

Comment

Being sore everyday is not good because it can cause injury but not getting sore can also mean you are not pushing yourself. If you are 21 years old or older, you should know your bodies limits so I just say listen to yourself, if it hurts in a bad way, chill out and relax, but if its a good sore like you say, maybe just kick back a day or 2 and than try and go harder than the day that made you sore...

Comment

How old are you?
        Do you do road work?
        Are you over weight?
        Ray

Comment

People are saying that you should not be sore after training. If you ain't sore than you didn't do nothin'.......

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
            People are saying that you should not be sore after training. If you ain't sore than you didn't do nothin'.......
            somebody give rockin a time machine.
            dude's too old school for science.

Comment

Originally posted by nivek535 View Post
              you're not even worth the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                How old are you?
                Do you do road work?
                Are you over weight?
                Ray
                Age 28
                No road work yet (I'm still a new to boxing).
                No, I'm 6'3" and weigh 198.

Comment

Originally posted by nivek535 View Post
                  heres the science

working hard breaks down muscle fibers, they then grow back stronger

you can break em down and build em up without being sore

but the question is do you make faster progress if you get sore and allow time for recovery or if you dont really get sore but can train more frequently?

Old school methods are proven to work still to this day, id lean towards old school being correct, id back a calazagge over a jeff lacy anyday

Comment

Being sore is a good thing...being too sore (and you'll know it) is called DOMS...delayed onset muscle soreness. It is from one of two things. 1) working muscles that haven't been worked out for a good period of time or 2) working out too hard. You'll know when this happens because you won't get sore until 2 or more days after and the soreness can seriously alter daily activities and last nearly a week.

Comment

Working...
                    X