What do you think of Oscar dela hoya's carreer

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pugilist King View Post
    his fight with trinidad hurts his career a little
    And it should hurt it a lot more. Running the last four rounds was disgraceful. If Mayweather or Klitschko ever did that they would have been held to a different standard. I was so glad that he lost that decision.

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
      Negatives-

1) Never a legit 130lb champ. Fighting a guy like Bredahl for the WBO strap? C'mon now.

2) Didn't fight certain guys unless the guy had been exposed or damaged- Didn't fight Vargas until after Tito ruined him. Didin't rematch Shane until after Shane was brought down to earth by Forrest. Mayorga was destroyed by Tito. Chavez was shot, and had a cut from sparring gong into the first fight...and then Chavez is that rare foe Oscar gave a rematch to! Genaro Hernandez was a 130lber who reportedly had his beak busted by Mosley in sparring.

3) May have deserved the nod against Trinidad, but he was largely responsible for turning one of the most anticipated fights in history into a dreadful sport-hurting affair...especially when he sprinted out the final four.

4) Looked like he bailed against Hopkins.

5) Never fought Winky Wright while just about every other prominent 147-160lber of that era fought him.
      Well, that was entirely Winky Wright's fault so you can hardly hold that against Oscar.

Comment

To answer the question, Oscar had a good HOF career.

Comment

Chavez was cut...that's a fact, not a rumor. It was pointed out as he was standing during the introductions and then that very cut was opened up by a routine jab just seconds into the fight.

Vargas was PED enhanced? That is speculation, not to mention that whatever he may have been taking hardly enhanced him for that fight. He looked tight as a drum and I don't mean that in a good way. Vargas was referred to as "fat" and was more concerned with looking in shape than with whatever benefits/advantages his "stuff" would bring.

Fighting a guy who would beat you or at least make you look pretty awful is always sensible from a business standpoint. We are talking about Oscar's career here, and it's a mark against him that he never fought the guy everyone else stepped up and fought in Winky Wright.

Was Oscar great? Yes? Is he a HOFer? Of course.
          you have to consider what the perception of Winky Wright was at the time, rather than looking at it from hindsight. He wasn't considered as one of the p4p elite until the Mosley fights and he lost to Fernando Vargas in 1999. When Oscar moved to 154, fighting Vargas and the Mosley rematch made more sense from both a financial and competitive point. Winky was not considered to be as good as either of them.

By the time Winky is highly regarded, he moves to middleweight. At the same time, Oscar's two fights at middleweight made it clear he didn't belong at that weight, so the fight didn't make sense then either.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
            Well, that was entirely Winky Wright's fault so you can hardly hold that against Oscar.
            Was this what started the whole "Winky Wright School of Business" thing that Dan Rafael coined? I can't remember.

Comment

Originally posted by Pugilist King View Post
              his fight with trinidad hurts his career a little
              I saw that fight live, DLH beat the piss out of Tito and made him look like Margarito. Oscar put on a boxing clinic.

Comment

Great career.

Ducked nobody. Fought everybody.

Even went up two natural weight classes to fight Hopkins. And really wasn't doing that bad until the liver shot.

Excellent style - flashy, exciting, but also technically sound. Wish more boxers today were like DLH.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
                  Absolutely brilliant career! Took just about every risk a fighter could and fought near as dammit prime versions of the whos who of the pound for pound top ten near his weight for over 12 years!

Heres just a few names:

Hernandez
                  Chavez
                  Whitaker
                  Quartey (prime)
                  Trinidad (prime)
                  Mosley (prime)
                  Gatti
                  Vargas
                  Hopkins (prime)
                  Mayweather (prime)
                  Pacquiao (prime)

He won a few lucky decisions (possibly Whitaker, Quartey and Sturm) and lost a few unlucky decisions (Trinidad, Mosley 2).

The only really disappointing results/fights was the ending in the Hopkins fight and his performance against Pacquiao (clearly far too weight drained).
                  Sugar, just out of curiosity, what was your card in the Quartey fight? I had Oscar winning 116 to 112 last I watched and scored it. Ike winning 4 rounds, Oscar winning 7 with Ike down in the 12th, and 1 round even. I could never see this fight as a robbery as some have claimed. How did you score it?

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
                    Sugar, just out of curiosity, what was your card in the Quartey fight? I had Oscar winning 116 to 112 last I watched and scored it. Ike winning 4 rounds, Oscar winning 7 with Ike down in the 12th, and 1 round even. I could never see this fight as a robbery as some have claimed. How did you score it?

I don't keep all my scorecards, and don't still have this one. I haven't watched it in well over a decade (perhaps near 15 years) but my overall opinion at the time was that Quartey outboxed Oscar in several rounds with a superb jab that not only confused Oscar, but also made him go through a very strange, low activity spell.

I felt that Oscar needed the huge last last round to keep his unbeaten record at the time.........and even then, quite a few still thought Quartey unlucky.

I'd happily watch the fight again and see how the more mature Sugarj sees things......

Comment

Negatives-

1) Never a legit 130lb champ. Fighting a guy like Bredahl for the WBO strap? C'mon now.

2) Didn't fight certain guys unless the guy had been exposed or damaged- Didn't fight Vargas until after Tito ruined him. Didin't rematch Shane until after Shane was brought down to earth by Forrest. Mayorga was destroyed by Tito. Chavez was shot, and had a cut from sparring gong into the first fight...and then Chavez is that rare foe Oscar gave a rematch to! Genaro Hernandez was a 130lber who reportedly had his beak busted by Mosley in sparring.

3) May have deserved the nod against Trinidad, but he was largely responsible for turning one of the most anticipated fights in history into a dreadful sport-hurting affair...especially when he sprinted out the final four.

4) Looked like he bailed against Hopkins.

5) Never fought Winky Wright while just about every other prominent 147-160lber of that era fought him.
                      Winky was perfect for Dela Hoya's last fight, I really felt DLH made a mistake being weight drain and fighting Manny Pacquiao, losing to Wright wont be shameful as losing to a lightweight.

Cant understand Oscar's reluctance not to face Wright, when his other rivals, Trinidad, Mosley, Vargas, Quartey and Hopkins all fought him.

Comment

Working...
                      X