Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Arum: Pacquiao-Mayweather chances slim for 2010

Pacquiao-Mayweather Chances Slim for 2010 says Top Rank Boss
    by Bob Velin, USA Today

With a Friday deadline looming, hopes for a Nov. 13 mega-fight between boxing superstars Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather are all but dead, according to Bob Arum, chairman of Top Rank, which represents Pacquiao.

Arum said Wednesday he doubts the 33-year-old Mayweather (41-0, 25 KOs) will agree to the fight — which could net each fighter $50 million — by Top Rank's self-imposed deadline Friday, or anytime this year.

But Arum said a very real possibility is a Pacquiao-Antonio Margarito matchup on Nov. 13 in Monterrey, Mexico.

Arum said Monterrey is intriguing because it has a new arena, and Pacquiao would not have to pay U.S. taxes, which he said amount to about 30%.

And Pacquiao, who has been called the "Mexican Assassin," because he's defeated most of the top Mexican challengers, is highly respected and well-liked in that boxing-crazy country.

"They'll go absolutely nuts for this," said Arum. "They have a new arena in Monterrey. The governor wants it, the city wants it, and Manny is not reluctant to fight a Mexican in Mexico."

Margarito, a Mexican who was suspended for a year in the U.S. for having an illegal substance in his hand wraps, is not licensed in the U.S., but never did lose his license to fight in Mexico.

Margarito is the top contender for the WBC light middleweight (154-pound) title vacated by Sergio Martinez, who is now the middleweight champion. Margarito (38-6, 27 KOs) and Pacquiao (51-3-2, 39 KOs) would presumably fight for the 154-pound belt.

A win for Pacquiao would be in a record eighth different weight class. He's the only fighter ever to have won titles in seven different weight classes.

Arum said they have also been in contact with officials from Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates about having the fight there. He said, however, he didn't know if anything would come out of those talks.

Arum said he's frustrated that the talks with Golden Boy, which represents Mayweather, have not resulted in the Mayweather-Pacquiao mega-fight being made. The talks have been under an HBO-imposed gag order.

"But I'm trying to rationalize it, and if it's because he may be reluctant to fight now because of the problems his uncle (and trainer, Roger Mayweather) has, then I understand it," Arum said.

Roger Mayweather will go on trial in August on a battery charge involving a female boxer he once trained.

"We have heard nothing from (Floyd)," Arum said. "But hey, it's not the end of the world. If it doesn't happen this year, hopefully it will happen next year," possibly in May 2011.

Calls to Leonard Ellerbe, Mayweather's manager and close adviser were not returned.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/boxin...ces-slim_N.htm

bob knows weaselweather will find a way to weasel out of the fight

Comment

Abu Dhabi

Manny...you gon' let ole Bob play you out like this? Take the tests and let's get it on!

Comment

who cares. manny fans believe everything they say and say everything agaisnt floyd. floyd fans do the same thng manny fans do. im tired of this drama and bull****. i like boxing and i want to see boxing not a soap opera. i love the trash talking before the fight but fight not made yet i dont even wanna hear about this **** anymore.

but you pac fans are truely nerds lol. its one thing to stay by ya fighter but yall go all out with photoshopping and jsut hanging on every pubic hair. floyd fans get dumb to but ive neevr seen fans like manny fans before. thats why i want this **** over with now

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
          Abu Dhabi

Manny...you gon' let ole Bob play you out like this? Take the tests and let's get it on!

FAIL

He said he ll take the tests!

And probably some Sheik offered Boxing God 20+ million dollars!

OUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCHHHH you *****s are butthurt again!

Comment

fk bob arum. hes the sole reason this fight aint happening

Comment

Originally posted by Gorilla Dogs View Post
              fk bob arum. hes the sole reason this fight aint happening
              You cant be that mentally insane!

I feel sorry for you kid!

Pacquiao agreed on everything Gayweather wanted and Gayweather is more mia then Bin Laden!

Comment

Originally posted by bongwater View Post

Pacquiao-Mayweather Chances Slim for 2010 says Top Rank Boss
                by Bob Velin, USA Today

With a Friday deadline looming, hopes for a Nov. 13 mega-fight between boxing superstars Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather are all but dead, according to Bob Arum, chairman of Top Rank, which represents Pacquiao.

Arum said Wednesday he doubts the 33-year-old Mayweather (41-0, 25 KOs) will agree to the fight — which could net each fighter $50 million — by Top Rank's self-imposed deadline Friday, or anytime this year.

But Arum said a very real possibility is a Pacquiao-Antonio Margarito matchup on Nov. 13 in Monterrey, Mexico.

Arum said Monterrey is intriguing because it has a new arena, and Pacquiao would not have to pay U.S. taxes, which he said amount to about 30%.

And Pacquiao, who has been called the "Mexican Assassin," because he's defeated most of the top Mexican challengers, is highly respected and well-liked in that boxing-crazy country.

"They'll go absolutely nuts for this," said Arum. "They have a new arena in Monterrey. The governor wants it, the city wants it, and Manny is not reluctant to fight a Mexican in Mexico."

Margarito, a Mexican who was suspended for a year in the U.S. for having an illegal substance in his hand wraps, is not licensed in the U.S., but never did lose his license to fight in Mexico.

Margarito is the top contender for the WBC light middleweight (154-pound) title vacated by Sergio Martinez, who is now the middleweight champion. Margarito (38-6, 27 KOs) and Pacquiao (51-3-2, 39 KOs) would presumably fight for the 154-pound belt.

A win for Pacquiao would be in a record eighth different weight class. He's the only fighter ever to have won titles in seven different weight classes.

Arum said they have also been in contact with officials from Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates about having the fight there. He said, however, he didn't know if anything would come out of those talks.

Arum said he's frustrated that the talks with Golden Boy, which represents Mayweather, have not resulted in the Mayweather-Pacquiao mega-fight being made. The talks have been under an HBO-imposed gag order.

"But I'm trying to rationalize it, and if it's because he may be reluctant to fight now because of the problems his uncle (and trainer, Roger Mayweather) has, then I understand it," Arum said.

Roger Mayweather will go on trial in August on a battery charge involving a female boxer he once trained.

"We have heard nothing from (Floyd)," Arum said. "But hey, it's not the end of the world. If it doesn't happen this year, hopefully it will happen next year," possibly in May 2011.

Calls to Leonard Ellerbe, Mayweather's manager and close adviser were not returned.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/boxin...ces-slim_N.htm
                have always been mean to make some *****s get thick of me by sayin floyd is sissy but please floyd, prove us, the pac fans, wrong by making the fight happen between you and pac...and crush this silly plan of arum.

Comment

Working...
                X