Top 3 American Heavyweight Prospects To Watch

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 3 American Heavyweight Prospects To Watch

Well... the only three, really.

Deontay Wilder (14-0) - 25 years old. A late starter who won the bronze medal at the 2008 Olympics. Despite being a towering 6'7, he's missing a solid jab. He recently put some former champ in his corner to teach him how to fight tall. He's fought six times in 2010, but it's all come against miserable competition and, as Teddy Atlas has pointed out, he won't learn anything form being in fights like that. However, he has a big right and natural athletic gifts. He had Amateur wins over Rakhim Chakhiyev and Isiah Thomas.

Tor Hamer (13-1) - 27 years old. A winner of the 2008 Golden Gloves championship, Hamer went pro in 2008 and signed with Lou Dibella. His career has taken a slight step back after recently dropping a SD to undefeated Kelvin Price. Tor is really well spoken and went to private school (???) in New York. Strange. The guy has solid fundamentals and is smart in the ring, as long as DiBella keeps him busy (fought 4 times in 2010) he wll improve.

Lenroy Thompson (35-8 Amateur) - I like this kid. He's only been boxing for five years and has already proved to be a smart boxer with an awkward style, handing Tor Hamer his only amateur defeat. I've seen him fight twice in person, and he has a knack for adjusting and frustrating the **** out of taller fighters. Recently winning his second USA Boxing championship, he's currently in college and is looking to represent the United States at the 2012 Olympics.

It's not much, but it's the best we got. I really hope Deontay Wilder's trainer knows what the hell he's doing. The kid has limitless athletic talent, but is lacking in the fundamentals. How he managed a Broze medal with his current skillset I'll never know.

bauwhahwahhwahw.....PWNED with mediocrity.

American heavyweights have been destroyed at the hands of superior Euro fighters.

Comment

the next great american heavyweight is playing basketball as we speak

hate to say it but AM boxing in the states is dying for big guys

the premium big athletes head to other sports

with the contracts they see these guys signing
      and all the ladies they get being star athletes in the schoolastic sports

do you blame them?

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
        the next great american heavyweight is playing basketball as we speak
        That's a weak excuse.

There STILL more American heavyweights than in all European countries combined.

The reason they keep losing: the European heavyweights are very good.

But, some people will never be good enough sports to ADMIT that.

Comment

not very excited about thread. How about overrall prospects, Solis and Haye seem to be the best bet, of taking out the bum fighter brothers.

Comment

Seth Mitchell is 10x more impressive than Tor Hammer. Shouldn't have left him off.

He's a bit raw but is quick enough and has some pop & some speed. I'm mildly intrigued by him.

Comment

Joe Hanks as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom Fighter View Post
                That's a weak excuse.

There STILL more American heavyweights than in all European countries combined.

The reason they keep losing: the European heavyweights are very good.

But, some people will never be good enough sports to ADMIT that.
                If Europe's so superior why did a guy with such a terrible skill set like Deontay Wilder still beat Olympic Gold Medalist Rakhim Chakhiyev in Russia?

Comment

Originally posted by paulf View Post
                  If Europe's so superior why did a guy with such a terrible skill set like Deontay Wilder still beat Olympic Gold Medalist Rakhim Chakhiyev in Russia?
                  Let's count how many times he lost to european fighters, shall we? Basing anything off 1 result is called grasping at straws.

Comment

Only Wilder looks like to have a "future".

The two others look like bums,winning golden gloves means nothing in our days.
                    At least Wilder won a bronze medal,has size and power.

To be honnest, I have nothing against USA, but looking Wilder talking, I know why I can't stand this guy and most of US fighters.

That slick talk is horrible, they look pretty much arrogant and that's why people are happy to see them getting knocked out.

Slick talk is gay, ridiculous and classless.

Comment

Working...
                    X