Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fighters Who Were Masters At Restricting Punch Output?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fighters Who Were Masters At Restricting Punch Output?

how did they generally accomplish this?

Bernard Hopkins and he did this a few different ways.
    He feints a lot.
    He circles to what ever side his opponent is least comfortable
    He cuts off the ring
    He is super physical on the inside, pushing you on the ropes and in the corner
    He's a precise counter puncher.

Comment

If I understand what you are asking...Watch McGirt vs Simon Brown. Another might be Mosley vs Philip Holiday. In that one, Holiday came in averaging 135 punches a round over several fights and was only throwing 50-60 over the 12 rounds.

Comment

John Ruiz's incessant clutching restricting his foe's punch output and his own punch output.

The true master!

Comment

Fighters who were masters at restricting punch output?

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
          how did they generally accomplish this?
          Given that I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, I find this question/topic title rather vague... Masters of restricting whose punch output, theirs or their opponents'? Why would a fighter want to restrict (pull) his own (punches) output (if that's what you mean)? Did you mean restricting his opponents' (by slipping or blocking)?

Comment

Originally posted by Panamaniac View Post
            Given that I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, I find this question/topic title rather vague... Masters of restricting whose punch output, theirs or their opponents'? Why would a fighter want to restrict (pull) his own (punches) output (if that's what you mean)? Did you mean restricting his opponents' (by slipping or blocking)?
            I agree the question is vague. but if it is the assumption of great defense I would say fighters such as wilfred benitez in his prime would give fighters fits.
            roberto duran also could frustrate you as he did in the palimino fight with his defense and the fact that he had enough power that he as carlos describe could not get into an offensive mode thus the one sided pts win for duran.

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
              Bernard Hopkins and he did this a few different ways.
              He feints a lot.
              He circles to what ever side his opponent is least comfortable
              He cuts off the ring
              He is super physical on the inside, pushing you on the ropes and in the corner
              He's a precise counter puncher.
              great post.

he is also very good at making his oponent think he has a target and sit down on his shot only to move out of the way in the last split second often causing his oponent to overcomit and be unable to follow up.

like you mentioned he is physical on the inside but he also knows how to position himself on the inside so his oponent cant get off. hell he positions himself well on the outside too, like you say he circles well but he can also sidestep well. taking small deliberate steps and find that perfect angle where he can land a punch in the blind spot of his oponent while the oponent cant land jack ****.

imo cutting down your oponents punch output is mainly about footwork, positioning in particular and the threat of accurate counterpunches.

Comment

Working...
              X