Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Winky Wright be inducted into the Hall of Fame some day?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DempseyRollin View Post
    All I know is there is no way u can say Miguel cotto is a hofer and then say winky isn't. No way.
    The hate is high here brother. Miguel Cotto is not subject to debate

His merits can get its own debate.

The point is, Winky has a handful of good wins, some wins against past prime foes like Ike and Tito and losses (or draws) in big fights. He will never be known as someone who energized a crowd, rallied fan bases and put asses in seats.

He is a Jr MW version of Clottey. A good fighter, nothing more and nothing less. With a couple of good wins

But if there is an honest debate on his merits and his CONTRIBUTIONS to the sport of boxing, I'd love to hear it and would love to change my opinion, and the 60% that voted in the 'No' favor.

Comment

Originally posted by 4CornersKid View Post
      Take the Manny Pacquiao losses off Marquez' resume, and what's left??? Winky and JMM are actually more similar on resume's that most care to realize. Winky didn't realy lose to Simon and Vargas, was robbed. Marquez didn't really lose to Norwood, John and Pacquiao in 08', was robbed. Winky had a really close fight with unbeaten Jermain Taylor, most felt he was robbed. Marquez had two other close fights with Manny in 04' (draw) and 11' (loss), where many felt he won.

Aside from those controveries, Winky had wins over McKart, Dodson, Quartey, Mosley, Trinidad (past it). Aside from JMM's main controversies, had wins over Gainer, Polo, Barrera (past it), Juarez, Katsidis, J. Diaz, and Peden.

Marquez is going to be HOF and a ton of people leap to calling him an ATG of this era. Winky probably deserves to be in the HOF, won't get in, and I voted no because you can't really get in the HOF based on close fights you lost.
      Wink wasn't robbed against Vargas IMO. Close fight. But most of wat u said I agree with. Winky has a good resume. I dunno if its hall quality tho. But its good. And the Simon fight was a robbery.

Comment

Wink wasn't robbed against Vargas IMO. Close fight. But most of wat u said I agree with. Winky has a good resume. I dunno if its hall quality tho. But its good. And the Simon fight was a robbery.
        I agree that Winky wasn't robbed against Vargas

I saw snippets of the Simon fight and I don't suspect that it was fair scoring there either

Comment

Absolutely not.

Comment

All I know is there is no way u can say Miguel cotto is a hofer and then say winky isn't. No way.
            I agree.

Neither are.

Comment

That fight wasn't gonna happen. Baseless talk from both fighters.
              Wright turned down 6 million. Pretty blatant if you ask me.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                under the current standards of the hall of fame?

yes
                unequivocally. they're letting everybody in these days.
                This may have been the best statement in the entire thread.

Comment

look for round nine in this fight (against vasquez)

he was a four year pro. look at his reaction after the knockdown in round nine

he was all but unconscious

i remember him taking some hard rabbit punches in this fight as well

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Jay View Post
                    Why not?

If Barrera does, then Winky Wright sure as hell does.
                    What the hell is that supposed to mean? Barrera is a genuine ATG.

Originally posted by JmH Reborn View Post
                    He is a Jr MW version of Clottey. A good fighter, nothing more and nothing less. With a couple of good wins
                    Winky is 10x the fighter Clottey is.

Comment

IMO Winky is top 10 atg at 154 period.

Comment

Working...
                      X