Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boxing talent period has decreased all across the board. Not just the Heavyweights.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the depth accross the board isnt there atm, probably because in general less people take up boxing these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Iceta Lives View Post
      This is why I actually think Vladimir and Vitali do deserve to be in the top ten P4P when I really stop to think about it. I mean, stop to ask yourself who at the top level in boxing besides Maywweather and Pacquiao dominate like those guys do?

When you look at the crop of talent in boxing today that is supposed to be the younger generation it's just sad period. You got Ring magazine hyping up guys on a P4P level before they really earn it. I'll use Chad Dawson as an example first of all. Now he actually had a good resume for a guy in his position I'll concede, but as soon as he gets in the highest spot of his career he loses to a slightly above average fighter in my opinion in Jean Pascal.

And then I'll bring up Paul Williams. His resume actually gets unjustly slighted on here because he beat a prime Margarito in hostile territory, became the first guy to stop Verno Phillips (even though I still don't view that as a very good win), beat Quintana in the most devastating fashion possible regardless if it looked lucky or not in the second fight, and became the first guy to absolutely dominate Winky Wright after Wright had just given Hopkins a good fight. Williams still has a chance to redeem his reputation because having a tough fight with Martinez isn't shameful but he looked shaky against Cintron big time and Cintron isn't a very good fighter. Williams hasn't dominated an opponent the way Klitchko has even though he fights in a stronger division. But the thing that should cause him to lose points is ducking the rematch with Martinez if that's what his intentions are.

Then just look at HBO's long list of fighters that were supposed to be the back bone of future talent even if they weren't hyped up on a P4P level. Alexander got dominated by Kotelnik and got a gift. Ortiz, Angulo, and Arreola all lost and Arreola should get more flack for being out of shape than losing to good fighters. Berto and Khan are losses waiting to happen in my opinion once they step up in comp. And I'll mention Lopez as well because he struggled with Mtwaga of all people. Tavoris Cloud should've beaten Glen Johnson more impressively than he did.

To be blunt, who dominates like the Klitchkos do that is part of the newer generation that fights in the lower divisions except maybe Andre Ward?
      good, solid points...

however, talent would always be there... its the skills that have been decreasing... the art of inside fighting for example has been dying a slow death IMO...

and the losses... losing is so overrated nowadays...

Comment

Working...
      X