Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If modern refereeing standards were applied...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If modern refereeing standards were applied...

Which great, or otherwise significant, fights would be altered?

Larry Holmes would probably have lost the heavyweight crown to Shavers in their second fight. He certainly would have lost it to Snipes.

Matthew Saad Muhammad's entire career would not exist.

Gatti-Ward 1 would have been stopped in the 9th round. Gatt-Rodriguez would have been stopped in the... well pick a round really.

Originally posted by The Smash View Post
    Which great, or otherwise significant, fights would be altered?

Larry Holmes would probably have lost the heavyweight crown to Shavers in their second fight. He certainly would have lost it to Snipes.

Matthew Saad Muhammad's entire career would not exist.

Gatti-Ward 1 would have been stopped in the 9th round. Gatt-Rodriguez would have been stopped in the... well pick a round really.

There have always been referees who let punishing action go on too long. Likewise, there are plenty of fights in history where the action might have been stopped prematurely!

Refereeing hasn't changed much in the last few decades. You seem to indicate that Gatti-Ward 1 was a lifetime ago!! Ha ha. Check out Jones Jnr vs Bryant Brannon for a stoppage that should have happened much earlier.

Hell, Richard Steele was getting grief in the late 80s and early 90s for stopping fights too early.

I will say one thing, many refs stop a fight these days if a fighter can't rise by 8 seconds, most fights are waved off if a fighter is just up at 9. I could see plenty of refs waving off Buster Douglas vs Mike Tyson in round 8......that really would have robbed Buster of a landmark victory.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
      There have always been referees who let punishing action go on too long. Likewise, there are plenty of fights in history where the action might have been stopped prematurely!

Refereeing hasn't changed much in the last few decades. You seem to indicate that Gatti-Ward 1 was a lifetime ago!! Ha ha. Check out Jones Jnr vs Bryant Brannon for a stoppage that should have happened much earlier.

Hell, Richard Steele was getting grief in the late 80s and early 90s for stopping fights too early.

I will say one thing, many refs stop a fight these days if a fighter can't rise by 8 seconds, most fights are waved off if a fighter is just up at 9. I could see plenty of refs waving off Buster Douglas vs Mike Tyson in round 8......that really would have robbed Buster of a landmark victory.

Just last week Kenny Bayless allowed Khan to continue after the first knockdown after he was clearly non responsive to his inquiries. Steele gets applauded for "saving" Meldrick Taylor, yet years before allowed Tommy Hearns to continue fighting against Barkely in much worse shape. So it's pretty random.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post

I think it has. Granted there are exceptions - though it's worth noting that the exceptions are so beyond the norm that their names are all known by boxing fans (Weeks, Bayless and Smoger) - but in the main referees are far quicker to stop fights than they were in the past.

Incidentally, that's why I think there have been a reduction in both the caliber and quantity of fight of the year candidates.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
          Just last week Kenny Bayless allowed Khan to continue after the first knockdown after he was clearly non responsive to his inquiries. Steele gets applauded for "saving" Meldrick Taylor, yet years before allowed Tommy Hearns to continue fighting against Barkely in much worse shape. So it's pretty random.
          Yeah and then he stopped it when he was responsive. I couldn't get my head around that one. If he had stopped it after the first KD, I would not have said anything. But to let him continue when he was out on his feet and then stop it when he was coherent and getting his legs back was stupid.

In general, I think most referees can be a little quick to stop a fight now. There are exceptions like Steve Smoger, who usually lets fights go on further than most referees. I'm all for protecting the fighter but I think some refs stop fights too early these days.

Comment

Originally posted by ABOSWORTH View Post
            Yeah and then he stopped it when he was responsive. I couldn't get my head around that one. If he had stopped it after the first KD, I would not have said anything. But to let him continue when he was out on his feet and then stop it when he was coherent and getting his legs back was stupid.

In general, I think most referees can be a little quick to stop a fight now. There are exceptions like Steve Smoger, who usually lets fights go on further than most referees. I'm all for protecting the fighter but I think some refs stop fights too early these days.
            Exactly you barely see clean knockouts anymore, as for the OP I would say that with modern refeering Moore would not have made it out of that first round with Durelle, robbing him of one of the greatest comebacks off all time.

And Frazier-Ali 1 might very well have been stopped in the 11th round.

Comment

For one Saddler, Zivic and so many other greats who have to completely alter their styles to not include so much fouling.
              Last edited by NChristo; 07-20-2012, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ABOSWORTH View Post

I'm guessing that Bayless was still wondering if he should have pulled the plug the first time and was uncomfortable with a concussed fighter taking a beating under his watch. But the timing was awkward.

Comment

Working...
                X