No announcement yet.

boxing movies that should be made

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
    They were perfect. You could say that about the movie too. This is the story of a movie that should have been made and was made. As time goes on I have every confidence we will be glad it was made just as it was. A minimalist sound score a far cry from the melodramitc heights of cymbals and timpanis fits the realism present every moment. Just two pop classics and instrumental variations on them quietly make the statement that not much more is needed for a great film. This one reaches into its characters with a wrench.

From the beginning you feel Stockton, California inside you. During the period the movie was made I lived in that wide central valley myself in Modesto, another tough town about thirty miles south. Stockton is still the biggest thing in the north valley except for Sacramento, and that valley is still one of the food baskets of the world, despite many acres per day being newly paved over for shopping marts, housing developments, freeways and parking lots et al, continuously.

The film is not typical of boxing movies. It is a drama with quite a lot of well choreographed boxing minutes but no heroic figures on a meteoric rise for the familiar Hollywood touch. Even though boxing is central to it, it refuses to leave life for a second. You know everything is real, from the auditoriums where they fight to the racial mix of the crowds.

The vulturous Ruben shows his incompetence early when he puts green Ernie in the ring to spar without warmup. In Billy's backstory more emerges about Ruben. But much later we see Ruben victimized by the king of vultures the promoter.

Eerie echoes of Billy's own backstory as his opponent from Mexico City steps off a bus alone in Stockton and carries his suitcase along broken sidewalks to a beat up hotel where he pisses blood in the toilet. It's a tough world and a tougher game.

Anyone who can adjust away from the usual hyperbolic beatings and heroics of the typical boxing movie will probably love this one. The film was never a big hit. Mass audiences respond to sports movies where great odds are overcome. But in real life the odds usually win. And this is not a sports movie. Those are two reasons this film is built to last.
    Yes you some it up well and although it is a fictional story it rings with authenticity

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
      So, Tony, have you watched Hard Times yet?
      Nope, but when I hear "Hard Times", it always makes me think of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9py4aMK3aIU

Comment

Well if you're just talking boxing movies and not biopics, Diggstown isn't too bad. And I like the Rocky movies, despite all the dislike they get here.

Requiem For a Heavyweight I still need to see, as I love Serling's writing and he himself boxed in the army.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
          Well if you're just talking boxing movies and not biopics, Diggstown isn't too bad. And I like the Rocky movies, despite all the dislike they get here.

Requiem For a Heavyweight I still need to see, as I love Serling's writing and he himself boxed in the army.

In my opinion the first was outstanding. The second was very good. After that they became a little ridiculous but still entertaining.

"Requiem for a heavyweight" was excellent.

Comment

I liked the third one as well. Yeah, it was more an action movie where Rocky was no longer the underdog, but I still liked the idea of getting to see what happened to him after he became heavyweight champion and regaining that hunger he had when he was younger. 4 and 5 were ridiculous, 4 is one of those ones fans watch because of how bad it is and watch it to laugh at its badness. 5 makes no sense and 6 was well written IMO and brought the series full circle, was a good way to bookend the series with the first movie. And, since Stallone heard the criticisms of how unconvincing the scenes looked in the earlier entries, he actually had pro boxer Antonio Tarver hit him for real. Dude is tough. I read another story where Stallone did the falling off the tree stunt himself in First Blood, broke a couple of ribs, but did a few more takes to make sure he got it right and finished the work day before going to the hospital.

Comment

The life of Matthew Saad Muhammad would make for great viewing. Abondond on the streets aged 4yrs of age. found by the police and taken to nunns, who named him after St. Matthew and gave him the sirname of the street he was found, Franklin Avenue. Matthew Franklin grew up on the tough streets of Philly, he went on to become one of the greatest Light-Heavyweights of all times.. A true Warrior!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Svke__zBozs

Comment

Movies like Creed should come more

Comment

hmm..
                  i think kovalev pascal 2 might make a good comedy

Comment

Working...
                  X