No announcement yet.

The Sonny Liston style and modern boxers

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Sonny Liston style and modern boxers

Was reading some threads talking about Sonny Liston today so I was revisiting Liston's history and came across something interesting that made me think about modern day boxers.

Although he was dubbed the "Big Bear,"[12] at 6 ft 0.5 in (1.84 m) Liston was not a particularly tall heavyweight, but was exceptionally powerful with a disproportionately long reach at 84 inches (2.13 m), 11 inches (28 cm) greater than his height.[1][13] His noticeably more muscular left arm, crushing left jab, and powerful left hook lent credence to the widely held belief that he was left-handed but utilized an orthodox stance.

I can't really think off the top of my head - who are some known currently active fighters who use this strategy (opposite stronger arm in relation to stance)? Also, how effective do you think this really is/could potentially be if used more often?

Maybe specifically in the heavyweight division?
    Last edited by PainfromUkraine; 12-21-2013, 05:12 PM.

Oscar de la Hoya, Trinidad.. A lot of fighters

Comment

Originally posted by SlyRaccoon View Post
      Oscar de la Hoya, Trinidad.. A lot of fighters
      Currently active fighters bro

Comment

Miguel Cotto.

Comment

Originally posted by PainfromUkraine View Post
          Was reading some threads talking about Sonny Liston today so I was revisiting Liston's history and came across something interesting that made me think about modern day boxers.

Although he was dubbed the "Big Bear,"[12] at 6 ft 0.5 in (1.84 m) Liston was not a particularly tall heavyweight, but was exceptionally powerful with a disproportionately long reach at 84 inches (2.13 m), 11 inches (28 cm) greater than his height.[1][13] His noticeably more muscular left arm, crushing left jab, and powerful left hook lent credence to the widely held belief that he was left-handed but utilized an orthodox stance.

I can't really think off the top of my head - who are some known currently active fighters who use this strategy (opposite stronger arm in relation to stance)? Also, how effective do you think this really is/could potentially be if used more often?

Maybe specifically in the heavyweight division?
          He was only "dubbed" The Big Bear" by a spouting-mouth Cassius Clay who routinely ran down his opponents with nasty supposedly descriptive epithets. He had a friend (Bundini Brown)_ who used to make them up for him and they would rehearse all that crap together. I've actually seen them do it.

However he had the largest closed fist in heavyweight boxing, according to the reports.

Comment

Originally posted by edgarg View Post
            He was only "dubbed" The Big Bear" by a spouting-mouth Cassius Clay who routinely ran down his opponents with nasty supposedly descriptive epithets. He had a friend (Bundini Brown)_ who used to make them up for him and they would rehearse all that crap together. I've actually seen them do it.

However he had the largest closed fist in heavyweight boxing, according to the reports.
            Thanks for that, very interesting
            Last edited by PainfromUkraine; 12-21-2013, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X