Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Left field, but can somone convince me that Rocky Marciano wasn't a product of timing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
    He was a product of timing in this way.....

He came along when Louis, Charles, and Walcott were getting older......and before Patterson and Liston became top fighters.

He's still great though, he loses a lot of H2H fights though for sure. He still has wins over Walcott, Charles, and Moore as well as an older Joe Louis. Had he seen around 5-10 years later, Liston would have beaten him. He would have had a good chance to KO Patterson though, but Floyd P was much more skilled for sure.
    Patterson fought for and won the title just 5 months after Marciano retired. I have a RING Magazine, with a Maricano interview, written by Nat Loubet, one of their top reporters who later became RING Publisher. In it, Marciano stated, that he was still learning, that he wasn't thinking of retiring, etc.etc. Just around the time of the article, Floyd Patterson beat up another top opponent. Two days later, Marciano announced his retirement.

I'm not making any point about Marciano's precipitous retirement, just that Patterson was actually ready to fight him then. Patterson had had 10 fights the previous year winning all by KO, and 2 already in 1956 winning both by KO. He was like a blazing comet. There hadn't been as fast a heavyweight probably since Jack Johnson. Which was understandable as he was only a muscled up middleweight, with very reflexive twitchy muscles.

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
      All white champions are flukes, didn't you know that?
      ha....isnt even like that fam...

Comment

Originally posted by happyman View Post
        yup he was really as good as they say he was. he's not a product of timing at all.
        Stay happy....

Comment

He was tough,durable and strong and fought till the end,thats all i have to say

Comment

Originally posted by Aztec Wanker View Post
            He was a bum, bro. His undefeated record is smoke and mirrors. This guy fought old ass men and part-time bricklayers. He also fought in an era when the mob ran Boxing.
            you think they dont still run it????lol

Comment

Originally posted by MR. LARRYX View Post
              He was tough,durable and strong and fought till the end,thats all i have to say
              ha..my man...

i know youre keeping it political but deep down you now that ***** wasnt anout that life...haha...

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
                All white champions are flukes, didn't you know that?
                yup, its what hes getting at, it's so transparent. still bitter about louis

Comment

Originally posted by MR. LARRYX View Post
                  you think they dont still run it????lol
                  Jews run shit nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by happyman View Post
                    yup, its what hes getting at, it's so transparent. still bitter about louis
                    It's not like that....

I'm just using him as a point of comparison....

Comment

Working...
                    X