Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Gary Russell underrated while Vasyl Lomachenko Overrated?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ***1048;ATAS View Post
    It was actually pretty close against Salido remember he faded late and Loma hurt him.

The reason Loma has a lot of hype is based on his amazing amateur career - reportedly 300-1 record. Rigondeaux had a lot of hype as well based on his incredible amateur record, only he was a bit wiser in taking softer fights his first few fights, obviously it paid off for him. If there was some American who had 300+ wins and only a couple of losses and gold medals, he would have a ton of hype as well. Remember, boxing fans are always looking for the next great thing so naturally guys get hyped prematurely.
    loma actually had 5 fights in the WSB (5 five rounders) salido was like his 7th professional fight. theres obviously just a huge talent gap between loma and rigo (nothing more nothing less)

Comment

I'd say Russell is neither but Loma is definitely overrated,I couldn't give a fuck about his amateur record,his record reads 1-1

Howevet I admire him for fighting Salido,a brave but naive move

Comment

Ya Russle JR is underatted

Comment

I would say it is tough to really rate either of them, but based on sentiment yea that is pretty accurate but you are talking prospects so either you believe or you don't so it is tough to fault anyone for feeling either way

Comment

Lomachenko will be the better fighter. Hes super green right now though, so it might be an interesting match up. Give Loma 10 fights and he would murk Russel though.

Comment

I wish Lomachenko stop being an idiot and actually fight different style instead of trying to fight professionals here in the Americas where the competition of boxing is at the top level. I see Gary Russell with the better skillset overall, he also in my opinion has a better brain. Lomachenko just seems to fight with his opponent level..

Comment

I'm still not sure about Lomachenko's stamina. His style burns a lot of energy and I've seen him gas in three-round fights in the amateurs, and in five rounders in the WSB. This may be the reason why he didn't throw punches until the last two rounds against Salido. Sure he was uncomfortable with Salido's style, but he was definitely trying to pace himself.

I also think some people are fooling themselves when it comes to the Salido fight. After 10 rounds, I had Salido ahead 8-2, and Loma took the last two rounds. It wasn't a close fight.

Lomachenko is extremely talented, but he needs more time to develop his pro style. You may think Russell Jr. hasn't learned anything fighting TBAs but he has.

Comment

Russell Jr is now the underrated one because people have lost faith due to the fact that he hasn't stepped up competition...how ever it hasn't been by choice we find out that it is due to the POLITICS in boxing. Promoters not willing to sacrifice their fighters for a guy that is not with their Promotion. No one ever said trying to become a star in boxing without a Top Promoter was Easy.

His only way to finally get someone with a name to fight him was for the fight to be ORDERED. Now we will see what Russell Jr. has, however I am not sure a guy with only 2 Pro Fights is truly a "STEP UP IN COMPETITION" to be honest. I could see Russell Jr dominating this one, his hands speed is going to be a problem. If he doesn't hurt his hands and his stamina is good, I can see him scoring a UD. If he hurts his hands and his stamina is not good then I could see late Stoppage by Lomachenko or Controversial Decision

Comment

I agree I don't see Lomachenko as a step up in competition at all. I mean he just have a name, and he failed at what he was suppose to accomplish. People are hyping Lomachenko now but is going to drop him like a bad habit when he loses in a bad way.

Comment

Why on earth people care about fighters under 140 lbs. I'll never know. I suppose they care about the person more so than the fighter.

Comment

Working...
                      X