No announcement yet.

2016 Mazda RX-7

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by New England View Post
    space wise it's quite small. many turbochargers are quite small today.

it still added a ton of power, and had a drastic effect on the way a relatively small engine produced power. the car had 275-300 HP. it was f#cking fast. not tiny, either. that is a lot of power for a four cylinder, and it's because it had a turbo working very hard.

the turbo went. the engine basically went. car had around 100k miles. the car performed decently well, but sucked in basically every other aspect.
    Speed6 has 274 HP and 280 ft/lbs of tq. That's what turbos do. They add power. The K04 is still a small turbo and I'm not just talking about space wise. I'm talking about the size of the turbine, which is directly related to how much power it will produce. It's also not particularly a great turbo as far as reliability and part of the problem is that it really should have a turbo timer or the driver should let the car idle for like a minute or two before shutting the engine down. Pounding the hell out of it and then shutting it off is bad news for the turbo.

Audi also uses that same turbo on some of their models. I basically have the same engine (as your brother's Speed6) in my Speed3 Same turbo, same 2.3L engine. I've just had it pro tuned and added some bolt ons so I'm pushing that little bastard to 20 PSI (stock is around 15). I have no doubt that I'll need to replace the crappy K04 around 100k. You've got to pay to play. When it dies, I'll throw a bigger turbo on it. One that will make more power and will be more reliable.

I hear you though. The turbo does add one more thing to go wrong. I had to replace the TD04 turbo on my WRX twice. Luckily, those could be found super easy and cheap on Nasioc. I paid around $150 for each one and they had very low mileage. The guys I bought them from had pulled them early on to throw bigger ones on. If you were to try to buy a brand new TD04 from the dealer, you'd pay well over a grand.

Comment

I'm on my second early 90s tt rx7.

Nothin but fun and pretty stealthy vs radar with just a bit of caution.

Bring it on.

Comment

Abso is 100% correct, ko4's aren't big, actually on the smaller side.

My friend has a GTI with 180K and still the original stock ko3S. How? I have no idea, but it's about to go soon because it spools really loudly, not the good kind of spool either.

I don't have a turbo timer but I always let it idle before I shut it off.

Anyway the article says this motor will use the SkyActiv technology, what is SkyActiv? I see the Mazda commercials and I guess all of their motors use it?

Comment

Originally posted by Beercules View Post
          Abso is 100% correct, ko4's aren't big, actually on the smaller side.

My friend has a GTI with 180K and still the original stock ko3S. How? I have no idea, but it's about to go soon because it spools really loudly, not the good kind of spool either.

I don't have a turbo timer but I always let it idle before I shut it off.

Anyway the article says this motor will use the SkyActiv technology, what is SkyActiv? I see the Mazda commercials and I guess all of their motors use it?
          SkyActiv is kind of a broad category. It's basically trying to make everything about the car more efficient and better. The main thing that the engine does is use direct injection and increases the compression ratio to 14:1 to improve power and fuel economy.

Yeah, I let my car idle before I shut it off as well. Hopefully that will help get me some life out of the K04 but since I'm running higher boost, I don't expect it to last 180k.

Comment

Originally posted by ABOSWORTH View Post
            Speed6 has 274 HP and 280 ft/lbs of tq. That's what turbos do. They add power. The K04 is still a small turbo and I'm not just talking about space wise. I'm talking about the size of the turbine, which is directly related to how much power it will produce. It's also not particularly a great turbo as far as reliability and part of the problem is that it really should have a turbo timer or the driver should let the car idle for like a minute or two before shutting the engine down. Pounding the hell out of it and then shutting it off is bad news for the turbo.

Audi also uses that same turbo on some of their models. I basically have the same engine (as your brother's Speed6) in my Speed3 Same turbo, same 2.3L engine. I've just had it pro tuned and added some bolt ons so I'm pushing that little bastard to 20 PSI (stock is around 15). I have no doubt that I'll need to replace the crappy K04 around 100k. You've got to pay to play. When it dies, I'll throw a bigger turbo on it. One that will make more power and will be more reliable.

I hear you though. The turbo does add one more thing to go wrong. I had to replace the TD04 turbo on my WRX twice. Luckily, those could be found super easy and cheap on Nasioc. I paid around $150 for each one and they had very low mileage. The guys I bought them from had pulled them early on to throw bigger ones on. If you were to try to buy a brand new TD04 from the dealer, you'd pay well over a grand.

it usually made around 16 psi, iirc. that's enough to give a relatively small engine a ton of power. that's a good bit more than my old WRX, iirc. in the context of a tuning a car you might not think 275 hp and 16 lbs of boost is a lot, but it's much more than you're likely to need in your daily driving.

turbos don't just go by themselves, either. they tend to take stuff with them along the way.

200 HP six would be ideal for me. my brother just got a 328 with the X drive and the straight six engine. i think it's a bit heavy, but it makes around 230 HP. i have not driven it yet. he says the mazda was much faster when it was working correctly.

i'm going to stay away from BMW because of the price. if i find a great deal on something with low miles, i might bite.

i'm not sure what he got for the trade on his mazda, but i'm led to believe that they are sought after cars.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
              it usually made around 16 psi, iirc. that's enough to give a relatively small engine a ton of power. that's a good bit more than my old WRX, iirc. in the context of a tuning a car you might not think 275 hp and 16 lbs of boost is a lot, but it's much more than you're likely to need in your daily driving.

turbos don't just go by themselves, either. they tend to take stuff with them along the way.

200 HP six would be ideal for me. my brother just got a 328 with the X drive and the straight six engine. i think it's a bit heavy, but it makes around 230 HP. i have not driven it yet. he says the mazda was much faster when it was working correctly.

i'm going to stay away from BMW because of the price. if i find a great deal on something with low miles, i might bite.

i'm not sure what he got for the trade on his mazda, but i'm led to believe that they are sought after cars.
              I definitely don't need all that power. I could easily drive a Corolla. I like having power and enjoy modding my car so it's worth the extra cost and maintenance for me.

I do like the idea of a hatchback with a 6 cylinder engine but they don't really make them.

I really like the Nissan 370Z but a 2 door car with only 2 seats is just way too impractical for a daily driver.

Comment

I'm not as big into the imports as Abos and Ayo, but when I think "big" turbo when it comes to the 4 cylinder crowd, I always thought of that to be 35R, 60+mm territory.

Worst beat down I ever got was from an big turbo Evo 9. Thing was ******ed.

Comment

The car doesnt look that great, the FD series RX7 still looks the bomb.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Pea 50 View Post
                    I'm not as big into the imports as Abos and Ayo, but when I think "big" turbo when it comes to the 4 cylinder crowd, I always thought of that to be 35R, 60+mm territory.

Worst beat down I ever got was from an big turbo Evo 9. Thing was ******ed.
                    Pea I'm working on my project R32, I'll avenge you. Give me a year.

Originally posted by RAV3N View Post
                    The car doesnt look that great, the FD series RX7 still looks the bomb.
                    FD's are great. I was looking for one awhile back. Couldn't find one.

Comment

Originally posted by Beercules View Post
                      Pea I'm working on my project R32, I'll avenge you. Give me a year.
                      I'm hoping it's a big build, brother.

It was an easy 145 trap car.

From a dig, it would have been even worse.

Comment

Working...
                      X