No announcement yet.

Trinidad vs. Quartey Poll

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Exciterx24 View Post
    Incidentally, I watched it a few hours ago. Anyway, what's your take? Trinidad dominates Quartey and stops him or the fight goes the distance and Quartey gets a controversial call?
    Quartey always fought at a pace and slowed down in late rounds. His peek a boo defense would had allowed Trinidad to unload punches. Both fighters do punch in the pocket so knockdowns from either side is very much possible.

At 147 I have to go with Trinidad winning a decision or a KO. I was always hoping that Quartey would had gotten matched up with the best in the division in his prime. One thing is that he fought Lopez when nobody wanted to fight the guy.

Quartey was suppose to fight Withaker but got cancelled cause Sweet Pea was found using cocaine

Comment

Originally posted by TOBYLEE1 View Post
      Quartey always fought at a pace and slowed down in late rounds. His peek a boo defense would had allowed Trinidad to unload punches. Both fighters do punch in the pocket so knockdowns from either side is very much possible.

At 147 I have to go with Trinidad winning a decision or a KO. I was always hoping that Quartey would had gotten matched up with the best in the division in his prime. One thing is that he fought Lopez when nobody wanted to fight the guy.

Quartey was suppose to fight Withaker but got cancelled cause Sweet Pea was found using cocaine
      It was tough luck for this fight. I remember that in 2005 Quartey was a potential opponent for Trinidad after Trinidad-Mayorga. Looking back now, I wish it had been Ike instead of Wright.

Comment

Originally posted by TOBYLEE1 View Post

Well said.

Comment

I just don’t think Ike could keep Tito honest with a jab alone, and no knock on Ike but his defense was shaky as someone already stated on this thread in the later rounds.

Ike is NO Winky, nor was he a Hopkins where lateral movement (and fighting backwards) flustered Trinidad.

I got Trinidad by stoppage in the championship rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
            Ike was a shadow of himself by the time he fought Winky.
            In fairness so was Tito

Comment

Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
              In fairness so was Tito
              He sure was.

Comment

So, I guess we could agree that the consensus is a Trinidad late TKO(KO) after a tough, contested fight? That's what I posted initially and have seen several posters somewhat agreeing.

Comment

I tell you what, if it would've took place before Ike fought Lopez, I'd give small edge to Ike in winning a close decision. A lot people don't know this but Ike caught malaria back in Ghana right before fighting Lopez--who was an extremely dangerous fighter back then, no one wanted anything to do with Lopez at 147--and Ike damn near won that fight with one hand man.

This said, Ike's jab--which was better than Wright's at the time--would've kept Trinidad at bay just as it did DLH. When a guy has a very strong jab, it's very hard for fighters to establish a rhythm b/c the jabs always knocking him off balance-watch the DLH and Wright fights, Trinidad looked confused in there. And Ike's defense wasn't too shabby either: ask DLH, who, other than the last round, couldn't land s*&t.

The only problem with Ike's game was his tendency to brawl at times, he mainly only threw two punches at a time and of course he tended to fade down the line a bit. This is were a "prime" Trinidad--aka, before the DLH fight--would've had his moments: in the laters rounds Trinidad was arguably one of the most dangerous fighters of all time. Ike definately see's the canvas in this fight, there's no doubt in my mind--because of the way he fights, he's right there to get hit.

This topic is fun to me because, I've actually played this fight in my head a few times. If you look at the opponents they faced, you can't forget Ike, arguably, "outboxed" DLH, who, arguably, "outboxed" Trinidad so if you play on that logic, Ike should get the decision. But then again, Vargas "outboxed" Ike, who was "KO'd" by Trinidad so--so much for logic.

All I can say is--w/o question--in their respective primes, they were two "extremely" dangerous fighters. Ike's 2x4 jab would've canceled out a KO in my opinion, but Trinidad would've started connecting with big punches (that damn left hook) in the later rounds, putting Ike in survival mode a bit. My prediction is Trinidad wins a close controversial split decision. If Trinidad got the nod over golden boy DLH, then Ike damn near would have to put Trinidad in a wagon to get the decision--which I doubt happens, Ike didn't have the type of explosion with his punches.

So, that's my prediction, Trinidad gets busted up for the first six rounds, comes on late, puts Quartey on the canvas, thus putting him in survival mode and Tito goes on to win a very tough controversial decision. Would've been one helluva fight though!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by FoxingFan2010 View Post
                    I tell you what, if it would've took place before Ike fought Lopez, I'd give small edge to Ike in winning a close decision. A lot people don't know this but Ike caught malaria back in Ghana right before fighting Lopez--who was an extremely dangerous fighter back then, no one wanted anything to do with Lopez at 147--and Ike damn near won that fight with one hand man.

This said, Ike's jab--which was better than Wright's at the time--would've kept Trinidad at bay just as it did DLH. When a guy has a very strong jab, it's very hard for fighters to establish a rhythm b/c the jabs always knocking him off balance-watch the DLH and Wright fights, Trinidad looked confused in there. And Ike's defense wasn't too shabby either: ask DLH, who, other than the last round, couldn't land s*&t.

The only problem with Ike's game was his tendency to brawl at times, he mainly only threw two punches at a time and of course he tended to fade down the line a bit. This is were a "prime" Trinidad--aka, before the DLH fight--would've had his moments: in the laters rounds Trinidad was arguably one of the most dangerous fighters of all time. Ike definately see's the canvas in this fight, there's no doubt in my mind--because of the way he fights, he's right there to get hit.

This topic is fun to me because, I've actually played this fight in my head a few times. If you look at the opponents they faced, you can't forget Ike, arguably, "outboxed" DLH, who, arguably, "outboxed" Trinidad so if you play on that logic, Ike should get the decision. But then again, Vargas "outboxed" Ike, who was "KO'd" by Trinidad so--so much for logic.

All I can say is--w/o question--in their respective primes, they were two "extremely" dangerous fighters. Ike's 2x4 jab would've canceled out a KO in my opinion, but Trinidad would've started connecting with big punches (that damn left hook) in the later rounds, putting Ike in survival mode a bit. My prediction is Trinidad wins a close controversial split decision. If Trinidad got the nod over golden boy DLH, then Ike damn near would have to put Trinidad in a wagon to get the decision--which I doubt happens, Ike didn't have the type of explosion with his punches.

So, that's my prediction, Trinidad gets busted up for the first six rounds, comes on late, puts Quartey on the canvas, thus putting him in survival mode and Tito goes on to win a very tough controversial decision. Would've been one helluva fight though!!!!
                    Yeah, that's why I hedged with a prime Ike because he wasn't in his prime by the time he fought Oscar. He was also pretty inactive at that point. The version of Quartey who fought Carr, for instance, I thought could beat any welter in the world. But it's hard to pick against a Tito who was so great at adjusting (at least at welter he was) and hit like bricks.

Comment

Man I wish this fight would have happened. I voted for Quartey, but I honestly don't know who would have won.

Comment

Working...
                      X