Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There's a difference between moving up and growing out a division.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
    And Manny did not out grow 135,he jumped up to 147 and dared to be great

Floyd did not outgrown 140 he jumped up to 147 and 154 and dared to be great
    Agreed. One thing is certain...andre ward is not daring to be great. His hand is being forced by his inability to make 168 and the tune up parade is just sad for a so called elite fighter.

Comment

• Ward has grown out of 168, but continues to drag 168 lbers up in weight to fight him. He'll consider going back to 168, but only to fight a 160 lber. Do I have this straight?

Comment

• Originally posted by SilverMiles View Post
        Floyd can't make 140 anymore. He grew out the division.
        Not only can't he make 140, he needs an I.V. to make 147 !!!

Comment

• Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
          Damn ya'll hang on his ****ing nutts like he is a damn monster,why are ya'll so afraid for him to fight at 168?? He literally is chasing a retired Froch to fight at 168 but ya'll do not want him to fight anyone prime there?? why?
          Froch is better and more popular than any current smw champ.

Comment

• Floyd never grew out of any weight class other than 130. He simply moved up for money. He sure as hell didn't grow up from 147 to 154, given the fact that he weighs 147 1 month before a 147 fight. Again, he simply moved up for big ppv fights.

Pacquiao never grew out of 140, he moved up for money fights.

GGG is staying at 160 waiting for money fights. He is not willing to fight Lara, or Ward or move up for anyone at 168 except money fights with Froch and Chavez Jr. He's a businessman, he claims otherwise, but he is a businessman not a "real fighter" as he claims. Not saying he's a fake fighter, just saying his fight anyone persona is fake, he'd fight only money guys and the only non money guys he'd fight are Stevens, Monroe, Lemiuex caliber fighters.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedi Vader View Post
              The Little G nuthuggery on this site is ridiculous.
              It really is. I can't remember if it was worse than Pacmania at it's height, but at least Pac had already accomplished greatness.

Comment

• Originally posted by b00g13man View Post
                It really is. I can't remember if it was worse than Pacmania at it's height, but at least Pac had already accomplished greatness.
                I think it's worse. At least Pactards were backing a fighter who was an ATG. Plus, he had a lot of fans following him. Yet this small band of Little G's make more noise than those Pactards.

Ridiculous.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                  Floyd never grew out of any weight class other than 130. He simply moved up for money. .
                  Floyd only fought guys who had outgrown divisions as well. DLH was a 147 guy all his career and just outgrew that division when Floyd fought him. Plus DLH was past prime at 154 anyway. Its not comparable to SRL beating a career great 160 guy in halger. Plus Floyd was a CW with a green Canelo. Never took risks while moving up.

Originally posted by SilverMiles View Post
                  GGG never challenged Manny.

Floyd has a title at 154 and GGG offered to come down to challenge for them. Mayweather had zero issues fighting the same sized Canelo.

I see nothing wrong with that and two things aren't the same at all.
                  In 30 years time as long as people know the reason GGG and Floyd never fought was all down to Floyd. We know GGG called Floyd out.

Comment

• Originally posted by SilverMiles View Post
                    I'm assuming you didn't read the original thread. I clearly said there's many roads to greatness. Now how is that discrediting anyone's legacy?

Reading is fundamental.

The fact is the people complainin about certain fighter moving up are discrediting great fighters like Willie Pep, Carlos Monzon, and Marvin Hagler.
                    Maybe "discrediting" wasn't the right term for me to use, but you are "downplaying" what Oscar, Floyd, and Manny accomplished. You said fighters shouldn't get bonus points for growing up a weight class. My point is guys like Floyd and Manny outgrew their original weight classes, but they moved up 2 or 3 divisions higher than their natural weight. They really deserve those bonus points for having the balls to beat up bigger guys.

I agree that there are many paths to greatness, but the guys you mentioned like Pep, Monzon and even Hagler fought in an older era, where there weren't as many weight classes. So boxers had to force themselves to stay at a smaller weight or move up and fight much bigger guys. That caused weight classes to be stacked with talent, so it wasn't very common for guys to move up. If Ward fought back then, he would have been at 175 is whole career. Pac and Mayweather probably would have never moved up past 135.

In the modern era, it is a lot easier to move up and down a weight class. Discrediting fighters for not moving up in a sport with 17 weight classes isn't the same as discrediting fighters in an era with a lot less established weight classes. Criticism of today's fighters isn't relevant to fighters of the past or vice versa, the sport is very different now.

Comment

• This is getting pathetic, double standards at it's very best.

Comment

Working...
                      X