Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible for people to live by high moral standards without religion?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 80'sDoStew! View Post
    you're stupid
    Clearly untrue.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
      I'm not religious and i haven't raped a single person my entire life.

I've walked past women i want to put my penis in, but never decided to rape them. Why is that?

It was humans who put the morality in religion, not the other way around. The myriad of human emotions and characteristics which stop us from being cruel to other people (or animals) and give us a conscience are all evolutionarily bread into most of us. That's not to say all individuals or cultures hold the same view of morality though
      I agree with this. Not all cultures have the same view on morality but that doesn't mean everyone else is misled and going to hell for it. I know plenty of people, including myself, who aren't religious and yet we still seem to be able to empathize with people and do what's right for ourselves and fellow human beings. I've also walked past plenty of women I've wanted to plant my seed in myself but never wanted to rape or have any sort of non-consensual relations with them.

Comment

Sure. Many people create their own moral standards just by knowing right from wrong and trying to live their life as an acceptable member of society. Most people can tell just by getting older which types of people are douchebags and why they shouldnt be like that. Why would you need religion for that?

Comment

I think a better question to ask is if we lived in a lawless society, would humans still behave in a moral way? Stealing is illegal, rape is illegal. Do these things still happen? Absolutely. Most people don't commit crimes because there are consequences for such actions. However, would people still act this way in a lawless society or a world without consequence? I don't believe so. I think the natural tendency of life on this planet is toward competition, survival of the fittest, and taking advantage of others. Every aspect of life can probably be reduced to competition.

I think it's natural for people to **** other people over, in the name of survival. It's still happens today, and if people can get away with it, they do it. Morality, the concept of right and wrong, was either an evolutionary mechanism that somehow benefited the human species as a whole or was used by a select few to maintain control over a population.

I believe it's important to be a good person; but, at the same time, you must be wise to how other people around you are capable of behaving. Always keep your guard up because, again, the natural tendency is toward personal gain. I am aware being nice may be a weak evolutionary trait. But, my only advice for people in this category, is to treat people the same way they treat you. I am capable of being a piece of ****.

Also, I have a lot of respect for people who come from the roughest conditions. I am pretty sure you won't find a lot of morality conflicts with these people. I think in this environment, the concept of survival is at the forefront. Under these conditions, you will find how humans truly behave.
          Last edited by sparkman0811; 04-25-2014, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by I Love Jesus! View Post
            you're stupid
            Badass comeback. I gave you green k. I have nothing against either of you, but that comeback was pretty clever.

Comment

Originally posted by MaD vEiN View Post
              i think religion is created because we humans have this fear of death or finality

we can't accept the fact that we will all return to dust someday, almost every religion i know always preaches this "life after death" or some kind of celestial plane that we would go after we die
              Thats what it is. I really dont understand why we have this fear though. I think most people forget that there was a time before we were born that we didnt exist either. It was absolute nothingness all the way until the time we were born. It will be the same thing when you die, which is why I cant stress enough for people to live their life to the fullest because this is a one time thing.

Comment

Impossible to tell, influence of religion on present society is insurmountable. Closest thing you'll see to what its like without religion is a child. Everything is about them and their happyness. Without external "training" a child will continue to seek self-satisfaction and preservation. Sure many will learn that getting along with others benefits themselves longer but...well then what do you call that kind of social engineering?

Then there's the whole spirituality aspect...

Comment

Working...
                X