Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another shooting rampage. 3 dead, multiple injured in Wisconsin.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nodogoshi View Post
    I made an ironic remark about gun laws, but "all guns should be banned" is not my position.

On a personal level though, I seriously don't understand why anyone would want to own a gun.

Unless they are a hunter, which is something I have absolutely no problem with, or a hobbyist target shooter. Or if they feel that they have a legitimate need for one for their own/their family's safety. Or if they happen to be a collector.

The above relates to the American situation.

I've lived in Japan for 3 years, so I can comment, the point being that a social commentary is also related to the relevant laws (hence the above comments relate to the US). In Japan, guns are only legal for hunting.
    I usually don't get into the gun debates. Don't own a gun, but definitely want one. Let's just say, I'd rather not be caught in a situation where I need one, and don't have one.

Comment

Originally posted by The Noose View Post
      The gun makes it very easy to shoot and kill multiple people. Thats why when there is a stabbing, you dont hear people saying all knives should be banned.

The reason why the gun is the focus of this story and not the individual is because the gun was used for the purpose it was invented for. The individual was obviously the cause, but sometimes, people have mental breakdowns, that cannot be changed. What we can change, is to limit the amount of deadly weapons this individual legally owns.

But i dont know enough about this argument. And i never get involved. I have been lucky enough to not live in an area where is there is a lot of gun crime. Or at least, when it got bad, i moved.
      I have no problem with shooting as a sport. But maybe the guns could be rented out, rather than owned.
      Its a problem when people are shot so frequently. Only last week a father killed his teenage son thinking he was a burglar. Couldnt of happened so instantly without a gun.
      As far as home protection. Get better security? I dont know the answer. But IMO; more guns = more deaths.
      The problem associated with executing any effective means of exercising gun control, is that it is a constitutional right. And being such, becomes the first argument against any type of control. That has been and is the biggest and most profound hurdle to overcome. Add to that hurdle powerful Gun lobbyist's and groups like the NRA and the task becomes insurmountable.

Despite the scale involved with addressing the mental state of gun owners, it may be a more reasonable goal, compared to undermining constitutional rights and taking on the very powerful NRA.

Comment

Gun owners in America will argue the law, ethics, and the concept of 'freedom' all day long. They will us any and every argument they can possibly think of in order to camoflauge the reality that continues to smack us all in the face on a daily basis, and that reality is that these weapons of freedom that in theory keep us free from our elected government and would be intruders are in fact being used to murder innocent civilians every single day.

Their entire modus operandi is to ignore what is actually happening and focus instead on what could happen. It's diversionary tactics 101.

Comment

Originally posted by Nodogoshi View Post
          I made an ironic remark about gun laws, but "all guns should be banned" is not my position.

On a personal level though, I seriously don't understand why anyone would want to own a gun.

Unless they are a hunter, which is something I have absolutely no problem with, or a hobbyist target shooter. Or if they feel that they have a legitimate need for one for their own/their family's safety. Or if they happen to be a collector.

The above relates to the American situation.

I've lived in Japan for 3 years, so I can comment, the point being that a social commentary is also related to the relevant laws (hence the above comments relate to the US). In Japan, guns are only legal for hunting.

I'm only one person so I can't speak about gun control on a societal level. I have personally experienced the fear of a barrel being held to my head and my life being at the whim of another man; so I speak from bias when I say that anyone still living in the delusion that the "problem" with gun control in western society is as simple as some law makers saying "No one is allowed to have them" can seriously go get phucked.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
            Gun owners in America will argue the law, ethics, and the concept of 'freedom' all day long. They will us any and every argument they can possibly think of in order to camoflauge the reality that continues to smack us all in the face on a daily basis, and that reality is that these weapons of freedom that in theory keep us free from our elected government and would be intruders are in fact being used to murder innocent civilians every single day.

Their entire modus operandi is to ignore what is actually happening and focus instead on what could happen. It's diversionary tactics 101.
            To a degree, true ... But, here is the most damning point against:

The USA was established as a nation with a consideration for gun ownership at its foundation. Sure, it was for the purpose of "We the people" to never lose control of their government, but still it is at the very foundation. And a very important one, because it was strategically placed as the second of all the amendments.

Regardless, of how evil things are turning out in this millennium -- This nation was built and maintained throughout history with firearms alongside.

Comment

Originally posted by arraamis View Post
              To a degree, true ... But, here is the most damning point against:

The USA was established as a nation with a consideration for gun ownership at its foundation. Sure, it was for the purpose of "We the people" to never lose control of their government, but still it is at the very foundation. And a very important one, because it was strategically placed as the second of all the amendments.

Regardless, of how evil things are turning out in this millennium -- This nation was built and maintained throughout history with firearms alongside.
              Yeah, and Japan was built and maintained throughout history at the end of a sword, yet you don't see people impaling each other in the streets every day. What's your point, exactly?

We've already lost control of our government incase you didn't notice, and no amount of private gun ownership or even armed resistance (not that that would ever actually happen) will change that fact.

The entire concept of a nationwide armed rebellion against the government is laughably absurd on a multitude of levels.

Comment

Yeah, and Japan was built and maintained throughout history at the end of a sword, yet you don't see people impaling each other in the streets every day. What's your point, exactly?

We've already lost control of our government incase you didn't notice, and no amount of private gun ownership or even armed resistance (not that that would ever actually happen) will change that fact.

The entire concept of a nationwide armed rebellion against the government is laughably absurd on a multitude of levels.
                Yes i agree. This was the case in the late 18th century where a gun actually meant something but now it means nothing

We are way down the slippery slope at this point

Comment

My point is, as its always been .....
                  Gun Control will never be realized in the USA. ... Never!!!

Establishing mental screening of gun owner's is a more reasonable and attainable goal and would go a long way to minimizing incidents such as the topic at hand involving firearms.

People want to present theories and rationals for gun control, when there will be none ... its a lost cause constitutionally.

What isn't constitutional, is to demand and require mental stability examinations of every single gun owner in the USA. This can be achieved without going against the second amendment and is a very reasonable alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by arraamis View Post
                    The problem associated with executing any effective means of exercising gun control, is that it is a constitutional right. And being such, becomes the first argument against any type of control. That has been and is the biggest and most profound hurdle to overcome. Add to that hurdle powerful Gun lobbyist's and groups like the NRA and the task becomes insurmountable.

Despite the scale involved with addressing the mental state of gun owners, it may be a more reasonable goal, compared to undermining constitutional rights and taking on the very powerful NRA.
                    Right, it seems like an impossible task.
                    But maybe the fundamental issue is societies mentality. Its one thing to state the first amendment, but its another to want to own firearms as individuals.

Id personally feel safer in a community where there are less firearms. Id exercise my constitutional right by not owning a gun for the good of society.
                    Naive maybe.

Comment

You confuse me with somebody who is arguing gun control. I'm not, nor have I argued for gun control in many years.

The truth is that it's a lost issue constitutionally, as you noted. It's also a lost issue on a practical level because it's something that should've been enacted into law when gun ownership was in it's infancy. However, our so called 'leaders' failed us, and in doing so Americans fell in love with the concept of being a gun owner. As gun ownership evolved over the years it became less and less an issue about opposing tyranny and more and more an issue of "personal protection".

Gun control in America is a dead issue. Gun control in America has failed. The debate has long been over - The pro gun crowd won, and as a direct result of their victory the rest of us (the sensible ones) are now forced to live in the society that they advocated for : A society in which anybody, anywhere, can now be the victim of senseless gun violence.

The cold reality of the situation is that we now live in a nation that is literally saturated with guns and victimization is inevitable. The best you can do is hope that it never happens to you.

Comment

Working...
                      X