Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does it irritate you sometimes that refs take too long with their counts sometimes?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does it irritate you sometimes that refs take too long with their counts sometimes?

Let me explain... was rewatching some fights and some refs, when the boxer gets knocked down, would tack on some extra seconds by continually asking if the fighter is okay and if they want to continue.

Does anybody else think it's unfair to the fighter who initiated the knockdown? The other fighter gets a little more time to recover and if the KD was near the end of the round, less time to make it out of the round.

While watching Abner/Gonzo, when Gonzo knocked, Mares got almost 18 seconds from when he was knocked down to when the fight was allowed to continue. This was also in the last 40 seconds of the fight, the ref starting action again about 20 seconds before the round ended.

I mean, it didn't matter, but it's the principle

Then Khan, while fighting Garcia, got knocked down at 28 seconds, Bayless starting action with about 10 seconds left.

I get that it's the ref's job to protect the fighter... but so much time wasted for the guy who knocked him down. Watch the fights back... they continually ask them they're okay. Of course the fighter will say they're okay. It's up to the ref to determine that, look into their eyes, their movements to see if they're steady while they're counting

Yes it does. Also, I can't stand when a ref is counting and he continues to look back at the fighter who initiated the knockdown, like the fighter is trying to sneak up on him or something - which btw disrupts the ****in count

Comment

straight up.... these guys need to stop with these counts. Some guys just count slow... Bayless was counting hella slow against khan

Comment

Sometimes.

Comment

Yeah, can't help, it's psychological, i guess, if the fighter knock-downed is the fighter you want to lose; you would want the count to be fast, and the other way around if it's your boy.

Comment

When Maidana knock down Broner in the 2nd round that ref gave him like 15 seconds by the time Maidana was let loose. Even Al Bernstein was like WTF.

Comment

I understand your point, but they need to inspect these dudes so nobody gets killed.

Comment

Originally posted by Vilicious86 View Post
                I understand your point, but they need to inspect these dudes so nobody gets killed.
                he has at least 10 seconds to do that from the time he goes down to when he gets up.

Comment

Originally posted by Ringlife View Post
                  When Maidana knock down Broner in the 2nd round that ref gave him like 15 seconds by the time Maidana was let loose. Even Al Bernstein was like WTF.
                  I noticed that on my re watch a few days later. Should have been a KO win for Maidana. I enjoyed the 12 round beating even more probably though so its all good HA.

Comment

Originally posted by US Dirk Killer View Post
                    Let me explain... was rewatching some fights and some refs, when the boxer gets knocked down, would tack on some extra seconds by continually asking if the fighter is okay and if they want to continue.

Does anybody else think it's unfair to the fighter who initiated the knockdown? The other fighter gets a little more time to recover and if the KD was near the end of the round, less time to make it out of the round.

While watching Abner/Gonzo, when Gonzo knocked, Mares got almost 18 seconds from when he was knocked down to when the fight was allowed to continue. This was also in the last 40 seconds of the fight, the ref starting action again about 20 seconds before the round ended.

I mean, it didn't matter, but it's the principle

Then Khan, while fighting Garcia, got knocked down at 28 seconds, Bayless starting action with about 10 seconds left.

I get that it's the ref's job to protect the fighter... but so much time wasted for the guy who knocked him down. Watch the fights back... they continually ask them they're okay. Of course the fighter will say they're okay. It's up to the ref to determine that, look into their eyes, their movements to see if they're steady while they're counting
                    I've believed for a very long time that there is a sort of unwritten understanding between the referees and the promoters, to do all they can to help prolong fights for the benefit of the promotion, especially if the KD or infraction is in the early rounds.

As for a slow count itself, the Tyson-Douglas one was the worst. I'm sure and have timed, that Douglas was down for around 15 seconds. Dempsey-Tunney was another.
                    Of course this was to carry out the new rule about boxers going to neutral corners before the count could begin. But it's been very obvious to anyone who notices these things, that present day referees don't pay much attention to the boxer going to the neutral corner, (except maybe in situations such as you've described) but just pick ip the count from the timekeeper, no matter how far on he's got to.

Comment

Working...
                    X