No announcement yet.

Calzaghe: "Dawson is the LHW version of Pavlik. He hasn’t proved himself!"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AndyShitHot View Post
    Fair enough, I personally don't feel like Dawson has done much to earn the Calzaghe fight, I feel like he is just the one young up and coming guy in amongst the oldies at LHW. However if Joe does want to carry on and a fight with Dawson in Cardiff can motivate him then bring it on.
    Why does Dawson have to earn the fight when hes beaten better fighters than Lacy, Kessler and Manfredo? Dawson is also more accomplished than all of them as well. How come he has to work harder for Calzaghe?

Comment

Because he only has 3 noteworthy fights, struggled against Glen Johnson, never even fought on HBO and brings no money to the table. He's just trying to build his name off Joe's and he wouldn't even be being mentioned if Pavlik hadn't been exposed.
      Johnson is the dean of the division( and was a top 3 light heavyweight at the time), and he stated in an interview that i seen on fight news that he has had two dates set with Joe, and Joe turned down the fight both times. Dawson was the only light heavyweight champion that took Johnson on, and for that itself he deserves credit IMO. Calzaghe has struggled with a bunch of fighters as well.

Comment

I wonder how Mikkel Kessler proved himself to Joe.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
          I wonder how Mikkel Kessler proved himself to Joe.
          He beat up 39 tin cans, and held an alphabet belt. Joe was highly impressed, but also quite pissed because he said that was his job.

Comment

Originally posted by slicksouthpaw16 View Post
            Why does Dawson have to earn the fight when hes beaten better fighters than Lacy, Kessler and Manfredo? Dawson is also more accomplished than all of them as well. How come he has to work harder for Calzaghe?
            He has to work for a Calzaghe fight as Joe is the man at 175 who is considering retirement and needs the motivation of a big fight if he is going to continue, not just a fight against the touted 'Next Big Thing'. Chad obviously wants the fight as it would be easily his biggest payday to date, it wouldn't be Joe's.

Also in my opinion Dawson has not beaten a fighter as good as Kessler.

Comment

How has Dawson not proven himself? Who else is there to fight at LHW? C'mon.....

Comment

He has to work for a Calzaghe fight as Joe is the man at 175 who is considering retirement and needs the motivation of a big fight if he is going to continue, not just a fight against the touted 'Next Big Thing'. Chad obviously wants the fight as it would be easily his biggest payday to date, it wouldn't be Joe's.

I agree that Dawson has to make himself an attraction, Dawson should fight Kessler early 09 to bait Calzaghe for mid/late 09....

Comment

Kessler only had two titles at super middleweight, and one of them being a paper belt. Neither the WBC( which Dawson did have) and the IBF/IBO titles that Dawson won are paper belts. Dawson fought and beat Adamek( who was unbeaten) and Tarver, and both of them were ranked within the top 4 at the time.

Also, Kessler IMO is not better than Tarver, Johnson or Adamek at this stage, and certainly not as proven to me. Calzaghe has not beaten Tarver or Johnson ( fights that were talked about but never made) so i don't how he would match against either of them. Johnson IMO would give Joe the fight of his life, Tarver as well. Another thing is that Dawson and his promoter Gary Shaw wants the Kessler fight, but Kessler hasn't mentioned a thing about it.

Comment

Working...
                  X