No announcement yet.

Hall Of Shame Referee Screw Ups

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
    I've rehashed that fight a number of times with different posters over the years and I still believe it was the right call. The fight isn't over till the final bell and Taylor couldn't or wouldn't respond to Steele. I was rooting for Taylor in that fight, but it wasn't the stoppage that ruined him, it Was JCC's fists.
    I have re watched it lots too. Saw it live on TV when it happened, and I was happy Chavez got the win. Duva distracted him causing him not to respond.

Duva also ****ed up by telling him they.needed that last round.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
      Jersey Joe Walcott - Ali vs. Liston 2.
      Classic blunder on Jersey Joe's part!

Comment

'Big' Terry O'Connor.

A couple of weeks back he appeared on a Food Network downgraded ripoff of 'MasterChef' called 'Microwave Technician: Celebrity Edition'. He gave his culinary specialty as 'home town cooking'.

I found his honesty a little startling if not altogether unexpected. My first encounter of Terry's work was when he played 'Bungle' in the 1980's children's TV classic 'Rainbow'. But it's one of his more resent shifts that spring to mind whenever this question is raised.

His handling of Cleverly Kovalev, or rather his literal handling of Nathan Cleverly when he near carried him back to his stool at the end of the third round (OK, it was more of an ushering but memory makes these events bigger) is for me indicative of a lot of the decisions that we see on a regular basis that unashamedly favour the home fighter.

Krusher had already handed Cleverly his arse, so to speak, when 'Our Tezza' decided enough was enough and stepped between the two fighters with arms a' waving. The bell rang. Then Terry got duplicitous.

"Mmm, that bell was borderline, and he's British", mused the big man. So he ushers Clevs back to his corner like a paramedic ushering a drunk into the safety of an awaiting ambulance then informs the ringside judges that they bloody well have not just seen him do what he's just done. He hasn't stopped the fight, he was shooing flys for fear of them impeding the action.

As it happened Cleverly was in no state to take advantage of O'Connor's generosity and the fight was waved off in the forth. A little ingratitude on the part of the Welshman? Perhaps. His fellow countryman certainly never behaved in such a manner. Calzaghe always knew that Terry was ever eager to be back on his couch, watching re-runs of 'Ally McBeal' with a TV dinner. Glancing blows and near misses were always good for a stoppage.

Comment

Mills Lane also tarnished his reputation as a stand up, no bull**** kind of guy when he crumbled under the weight of a Tyson Holyfield. Deciding that biting off an ear was a trifling matter worthy of a meer points deduction.

Comment

Veteran ref Ruby Goldstein working the Peret vs Griffith World Welter Title Bout in the Garden.
            Most feel Goldstein waited far to long to stop the action as Peret was being
            pumbled and over whelmed in the corner. He died days later after surgery failed to relief pressure on his brain.
            He was extremely active prior to the title bout and was an action fighter throughout his career more than willing to trade.
            That being said millions watched this fight on TV and that tradegy had a tremendous impact on the sport.
            Ray

Comment

Originally posted by baya View Post
              i'll always hate jay nady for stopping judah / tzuyu, didn't use any sort of discretion IMO. if that we're smoger, that fight would have gone on.
              I agree Nady didn't handle the situation well. I think the problem was that Judah jumped up after getting hit and couldn't get his balance and fell back down. Zab looked out of it so Nady stopped the fight and helped Zab stand up. By that time Zab was ok so it looked like Nady didn't give him a count.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                Lawrence Cole has had a couple of doozies.
                I saw Cole ref recently and he manages to keep getting worse.

Comment

Originally posted by ruedboy View Post
                  I agree Nady didn't handle the situation well. I think the problem was that Judah jumped up after getting hit and couldn't get his balance and fell back down. Zab looked out of it so Nady stopped the fight and helped Zab stand up. By that time Zab was ok so it looked like Nady didn't give him a count.
                  Damn thats right! I seem to remember that Nady never gave Judha a count!

Comment

A lot of the moments I wanted to post have already been posted, so I'll do one which sould have caused much more furore, Steve Smoger's blatant favouritism and unprofessional behaviour throughout Hopkins/Murat fight, at one stage, he actually shoves his hand onto Murat's face and pushes him away. Despicable and an absolute disgrace from a once well regarded referee.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                      Damn thats right! I seem to remember that Nady never gave Judha a count!
                      Isn't there a rule that a fighter who is knocked down, tries to get up and hits the ground gaain is ruled as an automatic KO? I seem to remember this happening to Judah but I'm a bit flaky on the issue.

Comment

Working...
                      X