Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Chavez Jr a sideshow or a real fighter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Chavez Jr a sideshow or a real fighter?

I was getting a real Butterbean vibe watching his fight with Reyes the other night. He looked at least two weight divisions larger than his opponent who was a handpicked guy. He didn't really box, just bum rushed the much smaller guy on occasion. Then you have him basically telling the referee what call to make.

Don't get me wrong, Chavez has some natural abilities. He is a decent puncher and has some technique to work with, but he doesn't have the constitution of a fighter. He doesn't have dedication or heart. His weight is out of control, his work rate and craft is pathetic at this stage of his career, and he is hopelessly out of his depth against top guys that are his size.

Is Chavez Jr Haymon's Butterbean?
    The new Butterbean
    78.26%
    A real fighter
    8.70%
    Adopted
    13.04%

You're right, bro. Chavez is not a real fighter, he comes from money. He lived the good life off of his father's wealth and decided to box, not out of necessity, but probably because it was the easiest choice to make for him. He complains way too much during fights, you can tell he is spoiled. Hes not a good fighter, no heart, etc. He has kind of a diva mindset, and not making weight this time, fighting a middleweight while he came in as a light heavyweight...pretty much the story of his life.

Comment

I've had a lot of doubts about Junior over most of his career, but him dropping Martinez in the 12th round of their fight, where he didn't show up really for the first 11 rounds, made me realize he's a real fighter. Obviously there are many sideshow qualities involved still. So basically he's a lil of both.

In a way its not really his fault. I think its very difficult to develop the drive & sacrifice needed to be an elite level boxer when you grew up in such a cushy environment. Mayweather's & Pacquiao's kids aren't likely to be **** in the ring either cuz of this reality. Watch out for Zab Judah's kids though cuz he tasted some success, but never quite got all the way there enough for them to be living in a mansion or getting a Lambo for their 16th birthday.

Comment

These threads are getting ridiculous. Look, I'm not defending Chavez Jr but he's a real fighter. He has 52 professional fights and you ask the question is he a real fighter?

He's not his daddy, he's not going to be great, and he's a spoiled kid who acts like a punk in the ring at times. Yet, he's a real fighter who has put his health and life on the line in that ring.

Let's all take a deep breath.

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman0811 View Post
          You're right, bro. Chavez is not a real fighter, he comes from money. He lived the good life off of his father's wealth and decided to box, not out of necessity, but probably because it was the easiest choice to make for him. He complains way too much during fights, you can tell he is spoiled. Hes not a good fighter, no heart, etc. He has kind of a diva mindset, and not making weight this time, fighting a middleweight while he came in as a light heavyweight...pretty much the story of his life.
          Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
          I've had a lot of doubts about Junior over most of his career, but him dropping Martinez in the 12th round of their fight, where he didn't show up really for the first 11 rounds, made me realize he's a real fighter. Obviously there are many sideshow qualities involved still. So basically he's a lil of both.

In a way its not really his fault. I think its very difficult to develop the drive & sacrifice needed to be an elite level boxer when you grew up in such a cushy environment. Mayweather's & Pacquiao's kids aren't likely to be **** in the ring either cuz of this reality. Watch out for Zab Judah's kids though cuz he tasted some success, but never quite got all the way there enough for them to be living in a mansion or getting a Lambo for their 16th birthday.
          I know this has everything in the world to do with it, and I agree with both of you that it is his problem, but not entirely his fault. I liked when Reyes said "the sons of giants are dwarves", because that is true in a lot of ways.

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
          These threads are getting ridiculous. Look, I'm not defending Chavez Jr but he's a real fighter. He has 52 professional fights and you ask the question is he a real fighter?

He's not his daddy, he's not going to be great, and he's a spoiled kid who acts like a punk in the ring at times. Yet, he's a real fighter who has put his health and life on the line in that ring.

Let's all take a deep breath.
          I'm not trying to be unfair with Chavez or take cheap shots. I've never been a fan of the kid, but he was outpacing my expectations and having a good run at middleweight. Like Panda said, flooring Sergio in the 12th was a flash of real potential and his KO over Andy Lee was a real accomplishment and a good performance.

The problem is where his career is headed and where his head is at. Since the Sergio fight his weight has become something of a joke. 3 of last 4 fights have been 168-172 weigh-ins against sub-par middleweights who gave him about as much as he could handle, and the other was quitting against a 175 contender he probably had no business facing.

Honestly if he can get in shape, maintain weight, and compete in whatever division he belongs in, I would call him a real fighter. If he keeps showing disregard to professionalism to the point where he has no control over his weight, and keeps taking on C level middlewights in the Jr Division, then he is a sideshow and it is his own damn fault. Don't tell me you disagree with that.

Comment

A certified clown

Comment

He's beaten Zbik, Lee and Rubio. I know he's a clown but he can fight a little.

Comment

The mutherfu**er was apparently living in the gym and still came in three whole pounds over weight.

Fight people your own weight you bum.

Comment

As someone said, he was a fighter but is definitely half way to been a sideshow.

Comment

Working...
                  X