No announcement yet.

Atheism "Plus"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ßringer View Post

Must have been playing Yoshis Island this morning. Anyways I know he's dead but Norm MacDonald bumps his quotes everyday. Smart stuff even if you disagree with some of it.

Comment

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
      Oh fuck no. Those clowns are complete idiots. Complete. Like this lounge is full of total spazmoes but it's like the Harvard Review compared to that cesspit of whiny lunacy.
      Examples?

Got any links for me to do research via? This is literally the first time I've heard of this "movement."

Comment

From anecdotal observation, a lot of the metro careerism girls tend to be Atheists and also self-identified Feminists. The answer is NO.

A lot of people have their own little combo, e.g. Atheism + Conspiritardism, Atheism + Liberalism, Atheism + Conservatism, or in your case - Secular Humanism (fancy)

Your little 'Atheism plus' is a girls club.

Comment

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
          Oh fuck no. Those clowns are complete idiots. Complete. Like this lounge is full of total spazmoes but it's like the Harvard Review compared to that cesspit of whiny lunacy.

Which... has nothing at all to do with the topic.
          Social justice advocated by the state has already created a quasi gov religion. Ill defend the racists right to free speech before giving into the totalitarian whims of the social justice nuts. Those are the same windbags at the white privilege meetings.

Comment

I'm in favor of it as far as supporting a platform that speaks out against misogyny, racism, and various other religious-inspired phobias out there, but I don't really see the need to link it to the atheist movement due to the fact that the vast majority of atheists are secular humanists to begin with.

I don't see it as being "quasi-religious" at all.

As far as it being controversial or divisive thus far - What isn't? Particularly when it's associated with atheism?
            Have you taken notice of how these lunatics behave in practice, or are you taking their mission statement merely at face value? If Atheism+ doesn't qualify as a quasi-religious subset for atheism, I don't know what would.

Edit: just read above that you hadn't heard of the movement before this topic, so that would answer my question. I think if you had, your opinion would be more like piggy's.
            Last edited by samouraï; 05-20-2014, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Le samouraï View Post
              Have you taken notice of how these lunatics behave in practice, or are you taking their mission statement merely at face value? If Atheism+ doesn't qualify as a quasi-religious subset for atheism, I don't know what would.
              Did you miss the post where I said that this was literally the first time I'd even heard of such a movement?

I'm literally responding to what you bolded, which doesn't sound very insane or religious to me.

Comment

What are your thoughts on this? Admittedly, this topic is much more geared towards fellow atheists on the forum than it is theists. I am an atheist and secular humanist.

For those who don't know what it is, I'll quote the movement's website:

For the record, I would contend that this subset of atheism is quasi-religious and I see it as detrimental to the broader atheist community. It has been quite controversial and divisive thus far. Its close alignment with social justice bloggers (and particularly feminists) has been a considerable cause for the controversy it has stirred up.

Are any atheists here in the "Atheism+" camp? If so, why?
                I am very interested and will probably take a look, why? because I don't live my life based on text written by bronze age people who knew very little about the workings of the natural world but rather make reasonable choices and conclusions based on factual information.

Comment

Did you miss the post where I said that this was literally the first time I'd even heard of such a movement?

I'm literally responding to what you bolded, which doesn't sound very insane or religious to me.
                  I edited my previous post - your other post came while I was typing it.

Well, I would perhaps argue that any movement attempting to tack on elements of whiny social justice nonsense to atheism would justify labeling it as quasi-religious.

For instance, I am an atheist 100% because of the fact that I don't accept the supernatural claims made by religions. With that said, what I have against religions themselves is that they tack dogma onto these supernatural claims, and I find that dangerous.

This is also why I am almost wholly uninterested in arguing with harmless deists. Isn't theism just deism + dogma? How is that not analogous?

Comment

I edited my previous post - your other post came while I was typing it.

Well, I would perhaps argue that any movement attempting to tack on elements of whiny social justice nonsense to atheism would justify labeling it as quasi-religious.

For instance, I am an atheist 100% because of the fact that I don't accept the supernatural claims made by religions. With that said, what I have against religions themselves is that they tack dogma onto these supernatural claims, and I find that dangerous.

This is also why I am almost wholly uninterested in arguing with harmless deists. Isn't theism just deism + dogma? How is that not analogous?
                    Fair enough. Like I said, I'm simply responding to the bolded mission statement which you posted in the opening post, with which I have no issue at all.

However, being unfamiliar with this particular subject, I reserve the right to alter my opinion based on newly presented evidence, which I expect piggy to supply shortly.

I do think that once you tack anything extra onto an already existing position you do cheapen it by watering it down, though.

Comment

I'm in favor of it as far as supporting a platform that speaks out against misogyny, racism, and various other religious-inspired phobias out there, but I don't really see the need to link it to the atheist movement due to the fact that the vast majority of atheists are secular humanists to begin with.

I don't see it as being "quasi-religious" at all.

As far as it being controversial or divisive thus far - What isn't? Particularly when it's associated with atheism?
                      You wouldn't like it!

Examples?

Got any links for me to do research via? This is literally the first time I've heard of this "movement."
                      They are total Social Justice muppets. The whole lot of them are self diagnosed Aspies, they compete in the oppression Olympics and every year is an Olympic year. Somebody once said "there has been way too much colonialism and white supremacy to talk about the religion of brown people". That's right atheists. You're not allowed to criticise religion if some of its adherents are not white.

Originally posted by Mannie Phresh View Post
                      Social justice advocated by the state has already created a quasi gov religion. Ill defend the racists right to free speech before giving into the totalitarian whims of the social justice nuts. Those are the same windbags at the white privilege meetings.
                      Atheism Plus is not allied with the state at all, ever. It considers the state to be an extension of the patriarchy. Yeah, that's the brand of fucking fraggle that these nuts are.

Comment

Working...
                      X