Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got rocked and concussed sparring without a mouthguard.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got rocked and concussed sparring without a mouthguard.

I had been doing Muay Thai for about 3 months and I was participating in class when our instructor decided we were going to be sparring. He said 10% power. Nobody had head gear and I hadn't purchased a mouthpiece yet because I didn't know we were going to spar. My instructor was wearing those small fairtex bag gloves and rocked me really bad with a right hand. I didn't lose my feet but I felt wobbly on my way home and had a crashing headache and felt hungover the next day. 5 months later I have started sparring and getting ready to compete I am worried that there may be lasting effects and I may have a weak chin from that shot I took without a mouthguard. Has anyone had a similar experience and was your chin compromised?

Look the brain can recover from trauma as long as it isn't exposed to it repeatedly soon after.

You should be fine. Ive been knocked unconscious before, (king hit/kicked in the head in the street while extremely drunk) and recently started sparring again

i ate a few big flush shots without headgear, and took them fine. was a little buzzed but they were clean hard shots from good punchers.

Anyway sparring without a mouthguard is lunacy dont do that again. Prferably use headgear too.

Comment

I've been in over 30 amateur fights and never been dropped, in my first sparring session vs a bigger guy I got rocked by a jab; yes a jab and I didn't show it. You can get caught clean, don't worry about and keep your chin tucked in. If you keep getting rocked regularly then you may be packing some glass but there's only one way to find out.

Comment

Any place that allows you to spar with no headgear and no mouthpiece sounds like a hackjob off the top, sorry.

You should react better to punches as you get more experienced and as your brain becomes more acclimated to getting sloshed around in your head. When I first started sparring I used to have killer headaches after.

Comment

Originally posted by Biolink View Post
          Any place that allows you to spar with no headgear and no mouthpiece sounds like a hackjob off the top, sorry.

You should react better to punches as you get more experienced and as your brain becomes more acclimated to getting sloshed around in your head. When I first started sparring I used to have killer headaches after.
          Yep. Well except the headgear because here in Ontario open class and elite fighters fight without headgear now. But without a mouth guard is ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by 2ofEverything View Post
            Yep. Well except the headgear because here in Ontario open class and elite fighters fight without headgear now. But without a mouth guard is ridiculous.
            Yeah in open they started no headgear in Chicago as well, but training with no headgear is crazy. You're open to cuts, bruises, fluke accidents, etc before you actually really need to get needlessly hurt. Especially if you said the guy punched hard enough to rock you.

Comment

Originally posted by Biolink View Post
              Yeah in open they started no headgear in Chicago as well, but training with no headgear is crazy. You're open to cuts, bruises, fluke accidents, etc before you actually really need to get needlessly hurt. Especially if you said the guy punched hard enough to rock you.

Defintiely agreed. But the occasional spar without headgear with controlled power is useful just for adjusting to the feel of fighting without it. Defintiely not within 2-3 weeks of a fight though

Comment

You should find a new gym, no reason for a trainer to hit you when your not wearing a mouth guard, that thing makes a huge difference.

As for headgear, once I got pretty good I generally never wore it. Against some guys I'd wear it because I knew they loop punches and would hit me in back of the head so I'd out it on.

Against real big punchers sometimes I'd wear it.

Comment

One single concussion isn't likely to do severe harm to your intellect. However, the negative effects of concussions are cumulative, so do keep count of the amount of times you're getting rocked, if that is what your worried about, and make an exit from the game before its too late.

Comment

It seems as if boxing gyms still use headgear, but im seeing more and more MMA gyms sparring whether its boxing or MT without headgear.

any reasoning to this?

Comment

Working...
                    X