Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does strength alone increase punching power? Why is that the case?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses - behind the lines, in the classroom, and with the calculator, long before I dance under those lights."
    -Muhammad Ali

"“To become a champion, do one more differential equation." -"Gentleman" Jim Corbett

"I'm the best ever. I'm the most brutal and vicious, and most ruthless champion there's ever been. There's no one can stop me. Archimedes is a conqueror? No, I'm Copernicus, he's no Copernicus. I'm the best ever! There's never been anybody as ruthless! I'm Albert Einstein, I'm Sir Isaac Newton. There's no one like me. I'm from their cloth. There's no one that can match me. My combinatorics are impetuous, my algebra is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart! I want to eat his children!" - Mike Tyson

Comment

To add more strength to your body is the same as adding more speed! It will increase the power of the punch as long as proper techniques are applied.
      However if you add this strength through weights alone and your body type (genetics) allows "peaked biceps" as an example you will be adding muscle fatique instead of endurance. So how you gain strength is important and your individual genetics can be a plus or a minus if the approach isn't considered!
      Ray.

I prefer using your own body weight and maintaining cardio sessions to gain strength. The use of high rep weights and low rep power sessions is certainly a proven way to strengthen but there is a fine line there!
      Ofcourse stretching and shadow boxing is maintained throughout the sessions of adding strength!
      Ray

Comment

Super difficult question. In fighting, I was always afraid of weight. A heavier guy generally trained well is going to back a harder punch, but like any other fight you have to counter that with speed if you think your opponent will pack a heavier punch. Heavier can (not always) mean slower. I mean, if you train hard and learn to concentrate your power in your punches, this could help you pack a powerful punch, but think about it. You have that big kid who doesn't know his own strength and can do damage just because they are heavier.

Tough question to ask. Sometimes you can't tell how powerful someone is on first sight, we use physical cues (size).

Comment

Working...
        X