No announcement yet.

tryin to figure out a good target weight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tryin to figure out a good target weight

im a new poster and an aspiring fighter trying to figure out a good weight class for me. im a little taller than 5'6'', and i weigh 180 lbs, down from 251 in april, so i definitely have it in me to get down to whatever weight would be good for me.
    anyone who might be able help me, keep in mind that im of a very large frame....no exageration, im about a foot and a few inches thick from shoulder blade to rib cage, and have a big shoulder span.
    i think i can get down to welterweight, 145 or so, and im trying to see if thats too low or too high. any input would be great.

get to a weight where u have low fat

Comment

yeah get a to a weight where you are not going to be exhausted in 4 rounds and you can still pack a punch... How long have you been training for??

Comment

i havent been trained, but i started in april shadowboxing with weights for a cardio workout that also helped my handspeed...my friend's dad, who was a kickboxing blackbelt, showed me how to throw a jab and a cross...ive got great speed and snap on both, but i dont think im near ready for a real match.

ive got a lot going for me though, i think, ive got big legs and good endurance when running. when i shadowbox, i use three pound plastic weights and do 20 jabs, then 20 right crosses, then 20 1-2 combos with both for about an hour and a half 3 or 4 times a week. i go to a regular gym, btw, not a boxing club.

Comment

[QUOTE=saq26]i havent been trained, but i started in april shadowboxing with weights for a cardio workout that also helped my handspeed...my friend's dad, who was a kickboxing blackbelt, showed me how to throw a jab and a cross...ive got great speed and snap on both, but i dont think im near ready for a real match.

my match you mean fight?
          if so you wont be ready for quite a while yet, firstly youd need to join a club,obvisously, then you be a few months at least at the club before you will be ready for fights.in these months youll need to learn the punches, technique, balance and need to spar alot.
          answering Q.
          all people can do is advise what weight devision you shoud go in but you have to feel comfortable in that weight devision and if you gain quite abit of muscle you will can weight un less you loose they same amount of fat, which may be hard if you go into the lowest weight devision you can, you say welter for instance.
          and will you be ok in this weight, you say you have a big frame, then going into a lower devision then the people in that devision maybe more agile and tires less easily, have faster hands (maybe) and be used to the weight there in, where as if you either aim for a devision thats either too low or too high etc, then you wont be used to it and will have to adapt quickly or your get beat .

Comment

so ur 180lbs, thats...cruiserweight..i beleive.
            so i would think you could get down to bout,super middleweight, middleweight.

Comment

if there's anything ive learned from the diet im on, its patience. if a trainer told me he wanted to work with me for 6 months before putting me in the ring, id definitely be up for it.
              people i know, including my doctor, say they cant see me weighing a pound under 160. however, they arent considering the fact that im aiming for very low percent body fat...i think i at 5 percent or so body fat, i could be 140.
              i thought maybe my thick body would offer good protection in a lighter punching weight class like welterweight, but i can see how that would make me a walking target for those fast smaller guys.
              but hey, thats why i asked in the first place, i need the input. what do the rest of you think? short but thick better suited to welterweight or middleweight?

Comment

Originally posted by saq26
                if there's anything ive learned from the diet im on, its patience. if a trainer told me he wanted to work with me for 6 months before putting me in the ring, id definitely be up for it.
                people i know, including my doctor, say they cant see me weighing a pound under 160. however, they arent considering the fact that im aiming for very low percent body fat...i think i at 5 percent or so body fat, i could be 140.
                i thought maybe my thick body would offer good protection in a lighter punching weight class like welterweight, but i can see how that would make me a walking target for those fast smaller guys.
                but hey, thats why i asked in the first place, i need the input. what do the rest of you think? short but thick better suited to welterweight or middleweight?
                personally i think your better suited for middleweight.

people of larger body structures will natureally punch slower and even if you have alot of training to increase your speed dont forget that the other opponents in you weight will be training awelll so the more you train on handspeed so will they prolly, so you only asset is power, but you will have to be as agile as them and its ok saying yea ok (not saying you do)i can skip of run or wateva for 16 minutes (or whateva you may do to increase you stamina-endurance) but when you get into a ring and start sparring or fighting then you tense up and it takes a hell of a lot more out off you, but you will experience that sparring (as i did) and being a large build then you may find it harder than say if oyu were in middleweight then you would be fighting people of simular builds.

And even if you get down to 140, firstly you need to keep a strict diet to maintain that weight, which i assume you know as you have lost a lot of weight in the past, but tht 140 is 20 pounds lighter than what you doctor thinks that you will be so thats 20pounds of fat/fluid less, so when you start training and gain muscle you will struggle to looseeven more fat and maintain your weight, no matter how lean you may get you may struggle to keep that weight.

correst me if im wrong.
                Last edited by Inf3rn0; 08-17-2005, 04:57 PM.

Comment

yeah, i figure that any time youre trying to maintain a very lean physique you need to be training and dieting.
                  i leaning towards what you say, however...even if im better protected against little guys by my thick hide, that doesnt mean ill win matches...that sort of natural defense is better against the knockout punchers you see in higher weight classes, as opposed to quick guys who can out point me even if they arent putting me on my back.
                  id love to spar, but freshman at my college cant have cars, so making the commute to boxing gyms in the area. im going to unh in durham, nh, where by car i could easily commute to lowell or manchester, but couldnt do much on foot.

Comment

you get knockout punchers in any division not just higher divisions, look at naseem hamed for example he was in bantum- featherweight and he got alot of ko's and tko, and even broke someones nose in three places.

btw, do you have any boxing equipment or anything you could train with, by this i mean heavybag double end bag etc.? if not they are good for training at home or when you are not training at home. and do you have a routine or what exercieses do you do other than pnching woth weights and you cardio work?
                    Last edited by Inf3rn0; 08-17-2005, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X