No announcement yet.

Mark Wahlberg wants to make a sequel to The Fighter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ido View Post
    I would go watch this, first day at the movies.

Who could play Gatti?
    http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...&postcount=433

Too bad that actor is too old now.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePhantom5 View Post
      Mark Wahlberg was the only major actor in The FIghter not to score an acting Oscar nomination, but he may in fact be the one most committed to the ongoing saga of Micky Ward. On the red carpet before Sunday's Oscar ceremony, he dropped to Extra's Mario Lopez that he wanted to make a second film about the boxer's life. The video is below, but I've taken out the quote since I can barely hear anything he's saying: "Now we're gonna talk about doing No. 2. We're gonna do the Ward /Gatti trilogy and make it real."

The Gatti fights, which all happened after what we see in The Fighter, were a series of three bouts between Micky Ward and Arturo Gatti, beginning in 2002. Ward earned $3 million during the fights, and two were named "Fight of the Year" by Ring magazine. Clearly a movie about the three bouts would be of interest to boxing fans, but without the emotional thread of brother Dicky Eklund's recovery from crack, would the movie be nearly as good?

It's also unclear who Wahlberg means by "we"-- he's been involved in the project longer than director David O. Russell, and it's easy to imagine him going forward without the director, though given how close the two of them are Wahlberg might be able to talk him into it. Would you guys watch another movie about Micky Ward, or have you had your fill of boxing movies unless there's a story like Dicky's to balance it out?

My opinion: I think you have to anchor the movie with Gatti's story in parallel with Ward's story to make it work.
      well.... the movie won some oscars so I guess marky mark is obligated to make it a trilogy.

Comment

They would definitely need another story thread in there featuring Dicky and the family, but yeah I think the film would be great.

Comment

John Leguizamo

Comment

I hope they don't portray Gatti as Ivan Drago or something.

Comment

Originally posted by brick wall View Post
              this guy...

co-sign - Renner would be ideal and could still pull off a younger Gatti.... Leguizamo is past it and name an Oscar worthy movie with John Leguizamo? He already played a boxer and it was fail.

Comment

yes make it happen, here is another possibility for gatti.

Comment

they should just leave it like that. we are all very entertained by the action that gatti-ward have put on the real thing. watching it in a movie get portrayed by an actor wouldn't be as satisfying to watch.

Comment

The only critiscism i"ve heard of the movie is it does not show the Gatti fight. A sequel would be good as long as it has a good script.

Comment

Working...
                    X