13.Jimmy Wilde
    14.Pernell Whitaker
    15.Sugar Ray Leonard
    16.Stanley Ketchel
    17.Julio Cesar Chavez
    18.Terry McGovern
    19.Joe Gans
    20.Kid Gavilan
    In my opinion, arguably the worst list I have ever seen.

Originally posted by The Underdog View Post
    [CENTER]

Yeah, that list pretty much blows.

Comment

woott my idol no. 1 muhammad ali hehe

Comment

[CENTER]

explain why its the worst list you have ever seen and show the best list you have seen

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
          explain why its the worst list you have ever seen and show the best list you have seen
          In my opinion Ali and Louis are way to high. Dempsey (6), Marciano (9) should even be close to the rankings given all the great fighters in history. Ketchel, McGovern and Gavilan are way to high in my opinion, and no Charles or Langford is an outrage. I wouldn't call it the worst list, but I definitely have seen better. Jmo.

Comment

its a good list, finally a list where heavyweights dont get underrated.
            but i still think robinson deserves to be #1 p4p.

Comment

Originally posted by T3dBundy View Post
              its a good list, finally a list where heavyweights dont get underrated.
              but i still think robinson deserves to be #1 p4p.
              i agree, heavyweights are always underrated when it comes to P4P lists but Sugar Ray is the best ever

Comment

[CENTER]

Most of the fighters are fine; the order can be debated but, if I recall from that issue, it weighs 'historical impact' or 'significance.' Not sure how that measures. Louis was bigger in his time, arguably, than Ali in his.

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
                  Most of the fighters are fine; the order can be debated but, if I recall from that issue, it weighs 'historical impact' or 'significance.' Not sure how that measures. Louis was bigger in his time, arguably, than Ali in his.
                  When I see "greatest" I think "best." In that case should "historical impact" really be much of a factor when you're judging who were the best fighters? I don't think so.

Dempsey was huge in his time, a celebrity along the lines of Joe DiMaggio, Michel Jordan, and Tiger Woods. His celebrity status is important but that, in and of itself, shouldn't count when we're comparing who was the better fighter.

I think Dempsey is rated too high and, as much as I love Marciano, he's also ranked too high.

Comment

Originally posted by bklynboy View Post
                    When I see "greatest" I think "best." In that case should "historical impact" really be much of a factor when you're judging who were the best fighters? I don't think so.

Dempsey was huge in his time, a celebrity along the lines of Joe DiMaggio, Michel Jordan, and Tiger Woods. His celebrity status is important but that, in and of itself, shouldn't count when we're comparing who was the better fighter.

I think Dempsey is rated too high and, as much as I love Marciano, he's also ranked too high.
                    I was talking to someone the other day, and have heard others use the idea, of 'greater' vs. 'better'. I don't always agree, but it's not invalid. Part of sporting greatness is what people remember, and Dempsey's impact on the game was greater than all but a handful (and we're not talking about okay Heavyweight fighters versus great ones. Dempsey and Rock were certainly great Heavies).

Comment

Working...
                    X