No announcement yet.

Zambia bans hunting of lions and leopards

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zambia bans hunting of lions and leopards

Props to the government of Zambia for making this decision.

Zambia has banned the hunting of lions and leopards due to the rapid decline in its numbers of big cats.

Zambia's tourism minister said there was more value in game-viewing tourism than blood sport, which brought in just $3m (£1.9m) last year.

Sylvia Masebo said the country did not have enough cats for hunting purposes.

"Tourists come to Zambia to see the lion and if we lose the lion we will be killing our tourism industry," she told Reuters.

While lions are found in all of Zambia's major parks, their numbers are limited.

There are thought to be no more than about 4,500 lions in the whole country, while the leopard population is unknown.

Neighbouring Botswana is banning all sport hunting from 2014, while Kenya halted hunting for sport decades ago.

Amazing that is takes money for them to decide that and not the majesty of these wonderful cats.

Comment

Originally posted by RichCCFC View Post
      Amazing that is takes money for them to decide that and not the majesty of these wonderful cats.
      The money comes from tourists who appreciate wildlife, so it's all good.

Comment

Thank God.

Now let's see if that actually makes a difference, because the hunters make a good living off of it... The government essentially cut off their living by doing so... Some will abide others will not.

Wonder what the punishment will be if they get caught.

Comment

A good friend of mine is doing missionary work in Zambia. Says it is beautiful country. He came back to the States to visit for the holidays, but he loves it down there and says he is heading back soon. He has told me some incredible stories about the wildlife he has seen down there.

Comment

This is very gratifying news.

Comment

Good to hear , I don't have many weak spots but one of them is animals being hurt killed of mistreated really upsets me. So this is gr8 news, I wish animal hunting was banned world wide period.

Comment

Don't know if it will make a difference but its a good start.

Like Reed said, I'd like to know what the punishment will be for those who continue to hunt. It will need to be harsh or the hunters will just carry on.

Comment

good stuff. Going there is on my to do list. I know a few well travelled people who have been there and were blown away by how spectacular it is there, and how friendly the people were.

Funnily enough none of them saw a lion or leopard when they went of safari, its the only complaint they had about the place! Saw everything else though. Victoria falls aparently ****s all over the Niagara falls. And thats saying something.

edit - think they went on safari in one of the neighbouring countries, cant remember which one, maybe Botswana)
                  Last edited by gingeralbino; 01-11-2013, 06:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X