Deontay Wilder next opponent revealed

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

soo fu**in new smashing punch! Shpilophosy-punch! crazy

Comment

So it's ok for Denis Boytsov to fight him but not for Wilder?

Comment

They're just waiting for the K bros to retire.

Comment

I emailed Deontay Wilder's manager Jay Deas yesterday; here's his response:

hi burt. first of all i'd never, ever call a fighter a tomato can. having been in the ring and the sport as long as i have you develop a respect for the guys with the guts to step between the ropes.

as i've stated before, i think people are using 20/20 hindsight with regard to deontay's opponents. saying these guys are no good is like saying the alabama-notre dame game is a mismatch. sure it is...after the fact! going in it was the game of the century! deontay fighting undefeated kelvin price of the roy jones camp, who was the first to beat prizefighter champ tor hamer is a good fight. good enough for showtime to buy it. good enough for the wbc to sanction it for the continental americas title. also, if deontay were 26-0 with 15 knockouts no one would say anything.

i've done the research and it shows that deontay's opponents have a 65% winning percentage when d fought them. compare that to the rest of the american top 25 as i have and you'll see deontay's opponents rank 10th! better than the first 26 guys that eddie chambers, tony thompson, michael grant, seth mitchell etc fought, just behind guys like johnathan banks (69%). look them up for yourself. look at how many pro debuts some of these guys have fought. (deontay never fought a pro debut guy). funny, i never hear people talk about the 9 guys with losing records that arreola fought in his first 26 on the way up (deontay has fought 7 with losing records). sure you can say this guy was small, old, been off, etc. but you can say that about everybody's opponents.

as for your list, i like it. but as you know money plays a part. no sense fighting someone who won't make tv.

dom guinn is a great fight for d and i'm pushing for that very fight in that guinn to my knowledge has never been down or out.

vinny - not a lot to gain there. i don't think tv buys it.

michael grant - we offered grant the fight first when we eventually took on price. grant turned down showtime's 3 offers.
          tor hamer- tried to make that one. he took the nbc money (can't blame him- they could pay more) and got stopped. don't know if he'll fight again.

jason gavern- like that one. jason is a friend of mine. he needs a win or all we'll hear is, "wilder fights guy coming off 7 losses, etc" even if he doesn't get on track so we can fight we'll have him in for sparring. good guy, jason.

tony grano- love the fight! tv should also. tony has a belt but may be looking to ride it to a title shot without taking on the likes of deontay. but yes, i've put in for that fight and would love it for showtime/hbo.

pajkic- don't know him, unless he's the guy that dropped tyson fury. the canadian. i could be wrong. if he's won a couple since then, sure. just don't know much about him yet.
          monte barrett/fres oquendo - yes to both but both want to be paid and i don't blame them. they've been in the game a while and deserve showtime/hbo money to fight deontay. i actually prefer hasim rahman and have talked to his manager about it. we'll see.

richard towers- love the guy. maybe the nicest person on earth. was in camp with d in austria for klitschko. d and richard sparred. i don't think richards people would do it. just a big difference in experience right now in deontay's favor. richard is a class act, though.

i also love nicolai firtha. tough, tough guy who would be good for d that tv would like also.

ive proposed a super 6 american heavyweight tourney to showtime which includes, deontay wilder, malik scott, tony grano, david rodriguez, bryant jennings and joe hanks. no news so far.

as for greer, i like the fight for deontay in that we LITERALLY found out about it three days ago. try accepting a fight on a week's notice and then finding an opponent on a mexican tv budget that will take on wilder on the same week notice! lol. fighting a 15-8 guy with 13kos that went six of eight last year with (then) 29-0 dennis boytsov in germany and had james toney hurt (twice!) AND coming off a win is a good stay active fight. most fighters won't take a fight on a week's notice period but we did. and greer did. greer was actually to fight undefeated cuban mike perez. i don't remember people slamming that matchup!

i appreciate you being a fan and hope you continue to be. remember, of the top american 25 heavyweights, deontay is the youngest..by far! feel free to email me anytime and unlike some in boxing, i will try to respond. thanks, j

Comment

Originally posted by Jay Deas (Deontay Wilder's manager)
            hi burt. first of all i'd never, ever call a fighter a tomato can. having been in the ring and the sport as long as i have you develop a respect for the guys with the guts to step between the ropes.

as i've stated before, i think people are using 20/20 hindsight with regard to deontay's opponents. saying these guys are no good is like saying the alabama-notre dame game is a mismatch. sure it is...after the fact! going in it was the game of the century! deontay fighting undefeated kelvin price of the roy jones camp, who was the first to beat prizefighter champ tor hamer is a good fight. good enough for showtime to buy it. good enough for the wbc to sanction it for the continental americas title. also, if deontay were 26-0 with 15 knockouts no one would say anything.

i've done the research and it shows that deontay's opponents have a 65% winning percentage when d fought them. compare that to the rest of the american top 25 as i have and you'll see deontay's opponents rank 10th! better than the first 26 guys that eddie chambers, tony thompson, michael grant, seth mitchell etc fought, just behind guys like johnathan banks (69%). look them up for yourself. look at how many pro debuts some of these guys have fought. (deontay never fought a pro debut guy). funny, i never hear people talk about the 9 guys with losing records that arreola fought in his first 26 on the way up (deontay has fought 7 with losing records). sure you can say this guy was small, old, been off, etc. but you can say that about everybody's opponents.

as for your list, i like it. but as you know money plays a part. no sense fighting someone who won't make tv.

dom guinn is a great fight for d and i'm pushing for that very fight in that guinn to my knowledge has never been down or out.

vinny - not a lot to gain there. i don't think tv buys it.

michael grant - we offered grant the fight first when we eventually took on price. grant turned down showtime's 3 offers.
            tor hamer- tried to make that one. he took the nbc money (can't blame him- they could pay more) and got stopped. don't know if he'll fight again.

jason gavern- like that one. jason is a friend of mine. he needs a win or all we'll hear is, "wilder fights guy coming off 7 losses, etc" even if he doesn't get on track so we can fight we'll have him in for sparring. good guy, jason.

tony grano- love the fight! tv should also. tony has a belt but may be looking to ride it to a title shot without taking on the likes of deontay. but yes, i've put in for that fight and would love it for showtime/hbo.

pajkic- don't know him, unless he's the guy that dropped tyson fury. the canadian. i could be wrong. if he's won a couple since then, sure. just don't know much about him yet.
            monte barrett/fres oquendo - yes to both but both want to be paid and i don't blame them. they've been in the game a while and deserve showtime/hbo money to fight deontay. i actually prefer hasim rahman and have talked to his manager about it. we'll see.

richard towers- love the guy. maybe the nicest person on earth. was in camp with d in austria for klitschko. d and richard sparred. i don't think richards people would do it. just a big difference in experience right now in deontay's favor. richard is a class act, though.

i also love nicolai firtha. tough, tough guy who would be good for d that tv would like also.

ive proposed a super 6 american heavyweight tourney to showtime which includes, deontay wilder, malik scott, tony grano, david rodriguez, bryant jennings and joe hanks. no news so far.

as for greer, i like the fight for deontay in that we LITERALLY found out about it three days ago. try accepting a fight on a week's notice and then finding an opponent on a mexican tv budget that will take on wilder on the same week notice! lol. fighting a 15-8 guy with 13kos that went six of eight last year with (then) 29-0 dennis boytsov in germany and had james toney hurt (twice!) AND coming off a win is a good stay active fight. most fighters won't take a fight on a week's notice period but we did. and greer did. greer was actually to fight undefeated cuban mike perez. i don't remember people slamming that matchup!

i appreciate you being a fan and hope you continue to be. remember, of the top american 25 heavyweights, deontay is the youngest..by far! feel free to email me anytime and unlike some in boxing, i will try to respond. thanks, j
            Nice, he breaks down the specifics involved and is a numbers guy....that's the way to be, the statistics don't lie.

Comment

good.. hes not good enough to fight a solid oponent. he needs more time to learn, at 27 years of age hes got the youth to do just that. lets keep in mind hes only been boxing 7 years too.

his skills and boxing IQ are too low for him to move up in class, anyone who knows boxing can recognize that rather easily. the real cause for concern is that he doesnt seem to be improving much.

Comment

Originally posted by #1Assassin View Post
                good.. hes not good enough to fight a solid oponent. he needs more time to learn, at 27 years of age hes got the youth to do just that. lets keep in mind hes only been boxing 7 years too.

his skills and boxing IQ are too low for him to move up in class, anyone who knows boxing can recognize that rather easily. the real cause for concern is that he doesnt seem to be improving much.
                How can you tell if a guy's improving when his fights don't even go three rounds? They need to find someone who's proven to be durable/tough.

Comment

I feel 2013 will be a big year for Wilder.

I admit i like super heavy weights with monster right hands and good personalities. So I probably favor Wilder.

Still people have to understand a few things.

I feel that because so many boxing fans on these boards watch the lower divisions now, they forget that for heavyweights 27 is actually pretty young in this era.

A 27 year old Heavyweight in terms of boxing years is probably a 23 year old WelterWeight.

Most heavyweights hit their prime later on.

-Wilder obviously need to step up, but stepping up in 2013 makes him right on time. Not late.

The days of Lennox Lewis fighting a 35-0 opponent in his 15th fight is long gone and might never return. The boxing of today is quite simply the patience game. Invest and build.

Kubrat Pulev is 31 years old. Price is 30. Wilder is 27. He's it a great spot right now.
                  Last edited by Skittlez; 01-13-2013, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Wilder is still really unpolished.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitman932 View Post
                      The Wilder hate on here is hilarious.

Are you guys really criticizing him for not being able to secure a top flight opponent on basically zero notice? How many decent Heavyweights do you think are out there that are going to take this fight in Mexico on a week's notice?

You do realize this date is only 5 weeks after his last fight right?

Denis Boytsov fought this guy and Boytsov was/is ranked much higher than Wilder and that fight was scheduled well in advance, not on a week's notice.
                      Lol.If Wilder was british or eastern european you would hate on him,you are a complete spastic,possibly the worst poster on here-a zsolt erdei nuthugger,hes nearly as much of a joke as you

Comment

Working...
                      X