Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Floyd mayweather jr remind you of any other fighter's?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
    Does he have style similarities to any fighters of the past?
    Originally posted by AntonTheMeh View Post
    benton, a bit of joe gans, the little that I've seen and read about him at least.

i read or heard somewhere that whitaker and aaron pryor are/where his idols.
    He reminds me of Sweet Pea, not in style similarity per se (doesn't slip punches like him), but is equally overrated by virtue of his undefeated record. If Pryor and Whitaker were his idols, he was more like the latter than the former, as Pryor subscribed to the concept that the best defense is not only a good offense, but an urgent one.

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
      Just stumbled across this on Google. Turns out it happened way back in 99, but interesting nevertheless..

It wasn't until he faced Mayweather during an impromptu sparring session at a suburban Las Vegas gym in 1999 that Spadafora felt absolute omnipotence. "Floyd said 'I'm the best fighter in the world,' and 'Does your boy wanna get some work?'" Yankello says. Spadafora politely accepted the challenge and the two champions went toe-to-toe, exchanging body shots and pushing the pace through six rounds.
      At the very end, Mayweather collapsed to the canvas with a bloody nose as Spadafora casually trotted to his corner. "Mayweather wasn't in the shape that Paul was -- I'll give him that -- but it wasn't his first day back in the gym either," Yankello says. "That guy is always in shape. He's the one who asked for the sparring session. When they sparred that day, [Mayweather] thought he would be getting the better of Paul, but he didn't."
      Spadafora knows who won.
      "I feel like when I'm at my best, I'm the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world," he says. "If it wasn't for some of my stupid choices, maybe I woulda had Mayweather's life."

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mma...#ixzz2ZDWSLy32
      That suburban boxing gym was called Nevada Partners and i was there that infamous day, the lead up to the sparring was better then the actual work done in the ring.
      Floyd fights like his Rodger but without the power, another fun fact is that Floyd will not spar Rodger because when he used to way before he was a champion Rodger would try to take Floyd's head off with the right hand.

Comment

Originally posted by dchampishere View Post
        That suburban boxing gym was called Nevada Partners and i was there that infamous day, the lead up to the sparring was better then the actual work done in the ring.
        Floyd fights like his Rodger but without the power, another fun fact is that Floyd will not spar Rodger because when he used to way before he was a champion Rodger would try to take Floyd's head off with the right hand.
        Nice bit of insight, thanks.

Believe Spad's back from the dead now, and still yearns for a match with Floyd.

Comment

Working...
        X