• critique my heavy bag workout plz

Last week I video taped myself doing a lite workout on the heavy bag
    and I wanted some honest opinions and suggestions about my
    style,movements etc. In addition, i'm 25 yrs old and i'm 278lbs. My goal is
    to compete in the golden gloves which is in march of next year in the
    201lbs class. Thanx in advance for all advice and comments. Lastly,
    this isn't my normal heavy bag routine its just to give you all an idea
    of how I hit the bag

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKbyyx4QY8w (8:34min)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQOMCQSPKpk (9 min)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1KozrusAOw (4:33min)

Originally posted by jerzeytib View Post
    Last week I video taped myself doing a lite workout on the heavy bag
    and I wanted some honest opinions and suggestions about my
    style,movements etc. In addition, i'm 25 yrs old and i'm 278lbs. My goal is
    to compete in the golden gloves which is in march of next year in the
    201lbs class. Thanx in advance for all advice and comments. Lastly,
    this isn't my normal heavy bag routine its just to give you all an idea
    of how I hit the bag

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKbyyx4QY8w (8:34min)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQOMCQSPKpk (9 min)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1KozrusAOw (4:33min)
    For a big man, its not bad. But here are my observations.

You have a good jab, but your standing to close to the bag when you throw it.
    Take about a 6 inch step back and snap that bad boy out w/ some thunder.

You are not throwing the straight right properly.
    You need to turn your hip and shoulder more and snap your punch when you hit the bag.

Right now it looks telegraphed and weak. I will say that you are throwing it straight though which is good, but you need to work on putting the torque on it.

I would work on these two things over and over before attempting triple hooks and uppers.

But overall, if you're new to the game, I think you got talent. Just slow down and work on the basics and getting your weight down and you'll be alright.

In fact your technique on the hooks wasn't bad either but again, you don't turn your hip and shoulder into the punch as much as you need to.

Work on your footwork, your body movement, and learn how to turn over your punches better and you'll be a force.

Hope this helps.

Comment

in b4... u know

Comment

lookin good for a big man

Comment

Originally posted by JACK D. RIPPER View Post
          For a big man, its not bad. But here are my observations.

You have a good jab, but your standing to close to the bag when you throw it.
          Take about a 6 inch step back and snap that bad boy out w/ some thunder.

You are not throwing the straight right properly.
          You need to turn your hip and shoulder more and snap your punch when you hit the bag.

Right now it looks telegraphed and weak. I will say that you are throwing it straight though which is good, but you need to work on putting the torque on it.

I would work on these two things over and over before attempting triple hooks and uppers.

But overall, if you're new to the game, I think you got talent. Just slow down and work on the basics and getting your weight down and you'll be alright.

In fact your technique on the hooks wasn't bad either but again, you don't turn your hip and shoulder into the punch as much as you need to.

Work on your footwork, your body movement, and learn how to turn over your punches better and you'll be a force.

Hope this helps.
          Thanx for the advice......I think this week i'm going to work the bag fresh (before my roadwork) and see if my technique is any better

Comment

You got a nice jab for a big man. But your jab should be turning over so that your palm faces the floor. That twist will develop a bit more power in your left hand.

Your footwork isn't too bad. But I notice that the only time you go to your right is so that you can start jabbing and shuffling back to your left. That isn't a good idea cause you keep moving into an orthodox boxer's right hand. Learn to jab and move to the right. Uncomfortable but it helps much.

You telegraph ALL of your punches. When you're moving around you tend to "rock" your fists to your chest and THEN you jab. Not a good idea.

Also your left hook to the body and the head need some work. Rotate your left foot on the ball of your foot when you throw out that left.

Just little things to work on but I think you'll be solid by next March.

Comment

Originally posted by jerzeytib View Post
              Thanx for the advice......I think this week i'm going to work the bag fresh (before my roadwork) and see if my technique is any better
              You got natural skills bro, just keep working, you'll get it.

I liked what I saw despite my critique. It showed promise.

Comment

Thanx for all the advice...I wish I had started boxing at around 17 because I love to train and love the sport. I'm my entire life I only put 5 month total into formal training at a boxing gym. The hardest part now is finding a gym thats not going to sideline me (overweight 25yr old novice) for more experienced fighters. I really want to compete and I need a trainer to really work with me.

Comment

You're a beast, dude.

Some tips -

Don't go crazy over that 201 pound goal. You're a big dude and 80 pounds is a lot to lose, you may weigh considerably more than that when you're in perfect shape.

You throw a great 5 or 6 punch combination with a lot of intensity around minute 2 of the first video. I didn't watch after that, maybe you started throwing more of them. If not, throw more of them. It'll make your workout a lot tougher but it'll be worth it. Punches in bunches, high intensity. That's what it's all about.

Other than that, yeah I probably wouldn't fight you right now. I don't know if I could hurt you, and you could definitely hurt me.

Comment

Working...
                  X